S.1 E.13 ~ Doctor of the Dead (Ch. 97)

To everyone who has exams this week, next week, or this past week, I hope you did/doing excellent on every single one of them! Good job for staying in school this long! I'm proud of each and every one of you for sticking with it! <3

----

"I miss having something sweet to eat." I admitted.

My shoulders lifted an inch or two before falling back down in a comfortable position. Everyone needs something sweet to eat once in awhile; not once in three years. Murphy and I tried our best to look innocent, our eyes glossed over with purity, but what can we say?

Sweets have us by our teeth and we love it.

"Well, if you start craving brains, let me know."

"Ha-ha." Murphy finally spoke sarcastically, returning to his old self, slowly.

Maybe he'll stay his old self. I've already gotten use to the comebacks and mean words. Casually, his red tongue stuck out as his fingers reached up to lick whatever was left of the sugar-filled edible.

Pretty sure tasting this is better than those drugs he use to take in prison. Suddenly, a low hiss became a warning sound as it made it's way closer to us. Our shoulders forcibly tensed at the noise.

Our eyes scanned the area, quickly, trying to find the thing, or human, that hissed like a crocodile. We all knew what caused the familiar noise, but hope was still a human trait. Not even an hour into this lab and there's already Zs.

Lovely.

"Puppies and Kittens." Warren spoken calmly and lowly as she looked straight ahead of herself.

I pushed Murphy out of my way so I could get closer to Cassandra and 10K. I grabbed her limp, left arm in my grasp to hook it across my shoulders. Her fingers brushed against my shirt, pressing the fabric against my collarbone as she hooked to me.

Quickly, I wrapped my right arm around her, bracing half of her weight onto my body.

"She'll be safe."

My eyes leveled with the dark orbs of mystery as he stared down at me. We need our sharp shooter at the moment and he can't be babysitting something that isn't his sniper.

"Can you even hold..me up?" Cassandra asked breathlessly, feeling the sudden change in position go straight to her thigh.

Her voice was scratchy from the lack of water, but other than the pain shading her face in some moments, she seemed okay. We gave her as much water as we could spare, but the fever takes a toll on the water in her body.

"It doesn't matter as long as I can keep you safe. I can do that."

I'd put my neck out on the line for the people in my family; even Murphy. She's no different. The hand on her waist pressed my fingers deeper into her side as I heaved her closer to me than 10K, trying to assure him I could take on this added weight.

I can. Barely. I only have to keep her up until 10K is completely finished with the upcoming problem. I doubt he does well with only one hand on his sniper. Our best shot moved quickly, once Cassandra was fully off of him, to swing his sniper around the front of him.

He moved to stand beside Doc, who was hiding behind the shelf closest to our threat. I watched as his left eye closed and his right eye stayed glued to the red dot in the middle of the aim. Doc stood close to him, with the same look of concentration as he steadied his shotgun.

Cassandra and I slowly made our way to the closest wall while Murphy and Warren held a conversation behind a tray cart. 10K doesn't miss so as soon as he sees an opening, he'll take it without thinking.