S.1 E.5 ~ Home Sweet Zombie (Ch. 29)

"We need to get out of here before the storm hits." Charlie sighed, thinking out loud but to himself.

We're as 'getting-out-of-the-storm' as we can be right now, it seems like.

"And go where, huh?" Murphy scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, what are we suppose to do? We can't just sit here."

Warren spoke up from staring down at the meaningful snapshot, "We can ride it out in the basement. Gather some supplies before it hits."

Addy came from around the corner of the kitchen with a can and a bottle of water, "The kitchen was pretty well stocked up. There's water and canned food, but no medical supplies. Not even batteries."

Charlie let go of his thumb that he was biting on so he could order us around, "We need to get our communications up."

Our male leader pointed at Cassandra and 10K, "You two, go out in the neighborhood."

I stopped my father-figure from speaking by raising my hand in the air, "Can I go with them?"

"In this weather? Oh, hell no." Mack refused, shaking his head.

"Please, bubs? I want to help out."

Mack repetitively shook his head, refusing to acknowledge my puppy dog eyes.

"Mack, she's right. She's getting older. (Y/N), you can go with them." Charlie overrode my brother's authority.

And let me tell you, it felt amazing. I can finally help and Charlie is acknowledging this!

"Do not let her out of your sights." Mack threatened the other two people that were going to be my mentors for an afternoon.

Nodding their heads, I allowed Charlie to continue splitting us up. After finishing his orders, Cassandra, 10K, and I left Warren's home to go out onto the cleared streets. Where are all the Zs?

"(Y/N)!" 10K shouted my name.

Automatically, I turned around to look at the male who called me out. Right in that moment, I felt everything go in slow-motion. The hair around my head that was swirling and twirling, moved slower than ever in the wind.

The birds above us were still crying out, but it was slower and deeper. As if they were being fixed up in a studio to match a song. 10K had his sniper aimed towards me. At me.

I know I couldn't see it with the human eye as it flew beside my head, but the wind the bullet carried at an unknown speed was felt against the right of my face. Familiar warm liquid started to seep through the fresh wound, flowing down to my neck.

Turning around to see what he had shot since 10K never missed a kill, I stared at the monster 10K had just saved me from. Suddenly, everything went back to the normal time speed. The wind was becoming more and more inclement than before.

Warm hands were placed on my shoulder to turn me around and face their owner. 10K's fingers were placed under my chin to tilt my head backwards and to the sides. He studied the damage he had caused.

"It's just a graze; you're going to be okay."

Even though I could already identify how bad it was, I just nodded. My face started to warm up; from what? I have no clue. Maybe it was because it stung a bit? Once his fingers slipped away from my chin, I looked down at our feet.

The stinging sensation that burned into my skin didn't go away, especially when the wind was sweeping around our bodies.

"You good?" Cassandra asked, catching up to us.