S.1 E.4 ~ FMZ (Ch. 25)

* Ten Minutes Later *

Firearms were being fired, but they weren't coming from beside me. My whole body shot up in the air to stand on top of the bedding. More bullets were being fired out until it finally went quiet. 

Mack. Addy. The edifice stood normally still, but my whole body was the one shaking like an earthquake had erupted. What if something bad happened? What if Mack got shot and turned? Wh--.

A hand was placed on top of my visibly moving shoulder, making me whip around.

"They're fine. They probably ran into some Zs. Just lay back down."

Slowly, I felt my form start to settle down at the reassuring words, but I could still feel the unsettling feeling.

"How do you know that? What if one of them got bit?"

"(Y/N), they're fine. Now, sit."

Forcibly, 10K's hand on my shoulder pushed me back down onto the bedding. I slid up to the back of the window. I crossed my arms over my rather (small/large/medium)-sized chest.

"If they're not out in thirty minutes, I'm going in there. With or without you."

Quietness was an awfully familiar response from the shooter. 10K just turned back around to fire at whatever moved. Not even five minutes later there were more gunshots. My (E/C) orbs landed on the one person that prevented me from going towards my family.

His dark blue eyes merely glanced my way then back to his shooting, expecting me to just sit there. Ignorant jerk! They may need us and he's just sitting around!

* Twenty Five Minutes later *

Breathing out carbon dioxide, I leaned my head against the glass.

"Can we go now?"

"It hasn't been thirty minutes."

"How do you know?"

"How do you know?" He asked my question, making me go silent.

Right as I was about to jump off of the side, a manly scream and gunshots were coming from outside the building. After another minute, more gun firing echoed throughf the area. What's happening? It didn't sound like any of our members. 

Did they push someone off of the edge? More screams were heard until it all went silent. Nothing. Not even the birds from above were speaking to one another. Did they literally push someone off of the deep end this time?

"Just ten more minutes." 10K muttered, taking a seat next to me. 

10K now had a view from beside us and in front of us. If a Z came he'd be dead before he could come five feet from this truck. Only weak spot would be the front part. Still, I think 10K could reach it before they reach us.

* Fifteen Minutes Later *

Something moved around in the corner of my eye, making me turn to see my brother running from the building. Not wasting a second, I jumped from the ledge. My legs moved me forward to the people that helped me survive this far.

Mack picked me up from my waist, spinning me around once. The next hug went to his girlfriend. Of course, a hug went to Charlie, Warren, Cassandra, but not to Murphy. I did a full circle, searching for the person that had yet to experience my great hug. 

Doc. 

"Where's Doc at?"

The top part of my body leaned over to the side, looking pass Warren and Mack, who tried to block my vision of the building. Just a scramble of zombies. I looked back up into my brother's dark hues, then to Warren's lighter colored ones.

Hesitantly, she sighed when she saw that Mack wasn't going to speak to me, "He didn't make it, baby girl."

My breath hitched at the information. I looked down at my feet with tears burning at the edges; my lips turned into a deep frown at the words that sounded like a broken record in my head. Someone encased me into a tight hug, laying their head on top of my own.

The familiar boy-ish, dirty scent gave me a hint to who it was.

"Don't cry." Mack whispered, leaning down so my head could lean against his shoulder now.

Doc.. He's gone.. Through the blurry vision I saw a stumbling Z come from behind us. I pushed Mack out of the way, because in that moment my mind clicked. I yelled his name, but someone grabbed my hand, pulling me to their side. 

I looked up to see Murphy's sorrow filled eyes.

"Don't be an idiot. You know it's not Him."

"Someone's gotta do it." Charlie spoke what we were all thinking.

We can't just let him suffer like that. My sight givers stayed glued to my two feet, just waiting to hear the loud, high pitched scream of the gun. 

"I'll do it." I heard Warren unbuckle her gun from the holster.

"Steven 'Doc' Beck." 

I leaned my head into Murphy's rib cage, not wanting to hear the ear piercing sound now.

Warren spoke clearly for the Gods in the sky, but it was muffled for me, "I give you mercy."

The gun shot was clear, but then an angry shout, "What the hell, Warren? You trying to kill me?!"

Not a second later, my eyes were wide open to stare at the surviving doctor in disbelief. He's alive? Doc is alive? Breathing? Thinking

"You alive?" Warren interrogated what we thought was a Z.

"Damn straight I'm alive."

"We thought you were dead!" I shouted back, escaping Murphy's grasp.

I ran towards the theorized dead Steven Beck. Right before I got into his awaiting arms, the stench of the undead and his own blood made me stop. Jesus Christ, this could make Zs go back to their graves.

Pinching my nostrils together, I took three steps away from the stinky human.

"Well, so did I. Some numskull threw a grenade in the air shaft I was stuck in."

We exchanged smiles before walking back up to our team with smiles of their own plastered on. 

"Well, hurry up!" Warren encouraged, grinning from ear-to-ear. 

Once Doc and I reached the group, Warren offered him her favorite red rag she always carried around in her pocket, "Here."

"Come on. Give me a kiss, baby." 

Doc opened up his arms, again, for Warren to wrap hers around his blood-stained waist. Warren laughed, swiping her wrist in the air before climbing in the passenger seat. I climbed on the bedding, sitting beside 10K.

"You got sad."

"What?" 10K asked, confused as we looked at each other.

"Admit it. I saw the look on your face. You cared if Doc was dead."

Nothing was replied back. Laughing quietly at his grumpy mood, I nudged his shoulder with my own. Everyone was safe this go-around, and everyone was together, now. So, I think this would be called a good day.

As we drove back down the aging light grey road, Doc, who was leaning against the tailgate, spoke up.

"You know, kid, I've been thinking about what you told me about your dad and how you wished he knew you did the right thing by giving him mercy like you promised."

|| Your scent still kills me to this day ||