S2 E3 : 🛑 ZR 🛑 (Ch. 158)

I swung the unlocked door open to grab the collar of Addy's one-sleeved leather jacket. She twisted her body towards me so we could hug each other in a tight embrace. At least she's made it this far. 

She hugged me back, breathing in the scent my body held onto. I probably smelt like gunpowder and sweat. 

"I'm glad you're safe." I mumbled into the material, holding onto her shoulders tightly since she couldn't give me a proper hug due to the steering wheel being right there. 

"Someone's got to watch your back."

10K does. He keeps me safe all of the time, even when she left. 

"What happened out there?" Warren questioned what the red-head knew about their delay and Sam's vehicle. 

Addy kept an arm around my waist, so I wouldn't leave just yet, while she freed me from her right arm's hug. She turned her head and some of her body to look at the chocolate-haired woman that leaned against the passenger's seat. 

"Those blaster things, they totally jammed Murphy. He went haywire; nobody here is safe."

"We'll be leaving soon." Our leader confirmed, patting the fuzzy fabric of the seat with her hand. 

"Okay." Addy answered, sounding exhausting as she did so. 

"Cover the medical wagon."

"I got it." 

We both knew that Addy was going to cover the medical wagon, even if it wasn't asked of her. Besides Doc and me, Addy's always been good at helping people, medically and psychologically. 

She's tired, though; you can see it in her shoulders. You can tell it in the way her answers were short and sweet. A pair of rushing feet almost scared the hell out of me as they came from around the driver's side of the vehicle, and headed towards the semi-truck Sam drove. 

"Custer, I am so sorry. There were Bla--."

Addy cut my attention away from the panicking Wrecking, and our doctor that was walking behind him, by speaking to me, "Go poke your nose in their business, baby girl."

I nodded my head, understanding that she needed to be alone for a few minutes to process what just happened to her. As I shut her door, I heard a body slam against something metallic.

"You were suppose to protect that car! And her!" 

I watched as Sam kept Wrecking at an arm's length, a hand staying against the red jacket. He moved his left hand to point towards the corpse and the two men that were digging a hole for the woman with red paint. 

"That's Athena!"

Athena, Goddess of War in Greek mythology, was Zeus' favorite child out of all of them. Ruthless warrior she was, which may explain why she was favored. I wonder if Athena was her actual name, or the name given during the apocalypse.

I know back at Camp Blue Sky there was a couple of mother's that gave their children names for the apocalypse, and then names that only the group would be able to call them. It was suppose to help protect their identity. 

"Oh, no. No. She was my friend." Wrecking began to tear himself apart on the inside as he stared at the covered, lifeless body that belonged to his crewmate. 

"She-She didn't like me, but she wasn't mean to me either."

What was the story behind Athena? Why was she so important for Sam to point out her death? Either way, Wrecking's leader was only trying to release anger from losing his son's car. And who happened to be the victim?