S.1 E.10 ~ Going Nuclear (Ch. 54)

Envious green trees. Overgrown herbage in empty fields or currently growing in some random spots. Nature was the only thing I could see from behind us and in front of us. We had to ditch the truck since it finally gave up on us. 

Terrible timing in my opinion, but it could've happened in a worse situation. Murphy and, occasionally, Cassandra's groaning and moaning. Birds singing their favorite songs. Squirrels scattering to get away from a new predator, 10K.

Ever since we left our vehicle, nature's farm animals were the only alive subjects I could hear moving around here. No Zs. A scent that reminded me so much of the boy walking beside me now surrounded the air I breathed in. 

So much nature, but it's too hot to be enjoying it.

"Is this entire state uphill? Where are we anyway?" Murphy grumbled for the tenth time since we parked the truck.

We were currently walking up another steep hill Warren had led us up. She said awhile back that there were a lot of small mountains to climb.

"According to this map, we're in the Black Hills of South Dakota." Warren informed us of our ongoing location.

They need steps or something easier to be climbing on. My knees were getting tired from having to lean all my weight down on them to move around. Warren has the map, looking up, down, left, right at the paper and the path ahead of us. 

She and Doc were in the front, leading us around. Murphy and Cassandra were in the middle as 10K and I stayed in the very back. 

"I miss the truck." Cassandra complained for the first time in awhile.

Better than Murphy. I looked ahead and saw a long, wide landscape with no buildings or tents occupying it. Zero animals, birds, humans, Zs. Just grass that needed to be cut and trees around it were still growing.

"At least we're out of that damn horde." Doc reminded the girl of the unfortunate event that happened a couple of hours ago.

"There's nothing to kill out here." 10K whined for the first time. 

He just wants to up his high score on zombie kills.

"That's fine by me." I muttered, yanking the shotgun on top of my shoulder.

My index finger on my right hand stayed above the trigger since I didn't want to shoot anything, yet.

"We need to find a place to make camp soon." I reminded the busy leader of the time limit we're having to keep up with. 

"My dogs are getting tired." Doc sighed, his old bones not being able to keep up with the rest of our young selves. 

"Well, there's suppose to be a little town nearby called Edgemont."

"I'll take the compass reading at this next ridge." Warren kept us in the know as we grew closer to the clearing. 

"Can't we take a break?" Doc asked bravely. 

Murphy wanted to take a break an hour ago and she told his ass 'no'. 

"A quick one." Warren broke as she walked into the clearing by herself. 

We all stopped walking and sat down somewhere on the leaf and stick covered ground. The brunette shifted her head up, but had to do a double take. Doc got up from the ground, walking over to stand beside her. 

"Oh, my God." Doc muttered to Warren's right, staring up in amazement. 

Not another horde. 10K and I came from behind Cassandra, who had also gotten up to examine whatever it was, to see what they were all staring at. 

"Now, who the hell did that?" Warren questioned, staring at all the past presidents. 

All of their rock solid faces had blood dripping from either their nose, mouth, or on top of their forehead. Marks and other apocalyptic drawings were painted onto their heads or clothing with a blood red spray paint. 

A 'Z' was circled on Washington's forehead with a line going through it. What does that mean?

"Some daredevil with a sick sense of humor." Murphy scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"Isn't that Mount Rushmore?" I asked, staring at the now ruined historical monument.

I've always read about it, but we never got to take a field trip to see the rock. Addy would be taking pictures if she was here with us. Another thing to document and something to fix when the world finally comes to it's senses.

I think humans need to combine forces against the zombies; not spread out and wait for death to come knocking on their door. Right now, it's the time to fight. Not to argue about things that's happened in the past.

Not to kill, because someone else doesn't want to live that kind of life style.

"This is why we can't have nice things." Doc released air, pointing at the graffiti before letting his hands fall at his sides.  

"Probably the same jackass that tagged the Liberty Bell." Warren scoffed at the person's ignorance, "How did they even get up there?" 

I remember how tall my middle school teacher told us; 1,745 meters high.

"I think it's awesome."

Like it was a new instinct, the back of my hand slammed into 10K's bony, but toned, chest when the rude words escaped his lips. The hard contact made both of us look down/up at the other.

"What?" He asked confused, grabbing my hand in his. 

A flush of tingles spread throughout my hand at the contact. What the hell? I slipped my hand from his quickly, looking down at the grass that went to my thighs. Why is it so hot out here? Why can't it be cold?

So freezing cold that I have to wear a mask. Yeah, I like the thought of wearing a mask.

"If I ever catch who did that, they're gonna get a whoopin'." The mother-figured promised the disrespectful youngster/elder.

Someone was gonna pay if they even got caught in a lie that they ruined something so sentimental to the world.

"Come on. Let's go find that town. It's gonna be dark soon."

"I thought we were taking a break?" 

Murphy turned his head to look at the back of Warren's, puzzled why she was just continuing forward. It's about to get dark, and we need to set up a camp somewhere safe. Maybe it is better to just get a move on and move further up.

"Break time's over." 

Warren kept moving forward, trusting that everyone would follow her lead. Warren was now the only one that could lead us. Doc settled in between Cassandra and Murphy while Warren walked solo. 

10K and I stayed in the back, continuing our silent walk. Why did he grab my hand? He didn't have to do that. In all fairness, I didn't have to hit him either. Argh, why is my face still red?

"We've been walking for hours." Murphy groaned after about thirty minutes of us making our way to the 'town'. 

Is there even a town? Could she have made a mistake? 

"Admit it, Columbus, you're lost."

The man would not give up about that break Warren lied about. 

"Give it a rest, Murphy. Warren knows where she's going." Doc protected the concentrating map reader.

|| Your lips, my lips, apocalips ||