S.1 E.12 ~ Murphy's Law (Ch. 86)

A scratchy static waved in and out of the speakers as my index finger and thumb moved the small, black knob back and forth. At least it's on now. I'm doing good, I think. Top right knob had something about connection with other stations nearby or with strong receivers.

I'm pretty sure of this. I grunted quietly, trying to dig up any knowledge I had on radios. Anything would be helpful right about now. I should've listened to Her better when she tried to teach me some tricks about radios, transmitters, and frequencies.

That'll be the only thing I ever admit, though.

"Guys." 10K's deep voice broke through my ears as his voice came out deeper than the squeaky noises from ghost movies.

I jumped from not paying attention to my surroundings, and not noticing him there sooner but settled back down in my seat. My eyes rose to look him in the eyes as he took a step back from the open door.

Was he there the whole time, or when he heard the static? Shaking my head at the irrelevant thoughts, I went back to centering my whole attention on trying to hear a certain person's voice come through those small speakers.

I checked every channel possible on the station. I don't know any secret ways to get a certain channel, but I know the basics of all this. I hope I do anyway. Everything was loud, scratchy, and unclear until channel 3.78. 

Maybe this is the one to reach him on? I grabbed the station's radio corner with my left hand since my right fingers were busy with the knobs. I clicked one of the buttons that should allow me to speak with whoever could hear me.

"Citizen Z, do you read me?"

My thumb relaxed away from the button, clicking sound going off to assure me I had let go.

"How did you do that?" Warren asked, getting where 10K was before.

She wasn't as close as he was, thankfully. I need breathing air.

"Antenna." I mumbled, more worried about getting a response from our guiding angel.

"I'm here, I'm here." The familiar voice resonated from the other side, sounding like he was being rushed.

Almost like he had just got done attacking a horde that reached his walls and was finishing off the last ones when he heard my voice. What's going on up there? I excused myself from the passenger seat of the vehicle, allowing Warren to take my place.

Doc leaned against the front of the door, listening in on the conversation about to take place. Cassandra was leaning against the limo's side while 10K was in front of her, making sure to glance over at her in case she began to fall.

I stayed in between 10K and Doc, crossing my arms over my chest. We all watched in anticipation, hoping my tinkering would have helped us all out.

"We lost Murphy." Warren admitted firstly with a little bit of hesitation evident in her voice.

We need help; we need eyes in the sky. Eyes that he can provide. All of our mistakes can be fixed by him and only him.

"Holy crap. That has potential for great, permanent tragedy." Citizen Z was more than flabbergasted at the confession.

He was definitely on high alert now. He sounded more panicked than what Warren and I were. I guess he's never been put in this kind of situation before, or had to deal with this kind of ordeal.

"We think he may have been kidnapped by three civilians, motive unknown." Warren transferred into a lieutenant mode.

She took a deep breath before speaking the next thought, "But they are aware of Murphy's status."