Chapter Nineteen

(A/N: So, so sorry for the wait until this chapter; I've been in a bit of a writing slump. Any tips to get me up and going again are much appreciated! Also, thank you all so much for the 700 views! I never imagined 500, but 700? This is amazing! Thank you all for reading! hope you like this chapter! XD)

Dinner arrived too quickly in your opinion. And yet, not quickly enough. The anticipation of seeing everyone was eating you up. You were dreading it, yet you wanted to get it over as quickly as possible.

So when J.A.R.V.I.S. finally announced that Nat and Clint had finished cooking, you headed straight down to face the team. Hopefully they wouldn't bombard you with questions on sight.

You were wrong.

"Glad you chose to come down. Everything going alright?" Steve asked you, trying to break the ice. How ironic.

You nod, and take a seat at the table. Natasha gave you your bowl of chili first, before handing some out to the rest of the team. She was always so considerate.

"This is some great chili you guys." Bruce said, trying to break the silence some time later. You hadn't really touched your food, not having much of an appetite tonight, while everyone was scarfing down the delicious meal. Even Loki started to dig in.

Until he realized exactly how spicy this dish was.

You could actually see the exact moment his mouth caught on 'fire'. He sprinted to the sink, and started downing glass after glass of water, to the laughter of the team. Even if it was hilarious, laughing at someone's suffering was a cruel thing to do. You speed into the kitchen as well, pulling out the milk carton.

"Here. It'll cool the heat better than water." You hand him the newly poured glass of milk. He gulps it down, and practically sighs in relief- Before breaking into another coughing fit. You leave him to fix himself back up, and head to sit on the barstools across the counter. If something happened, you needed to know right away.

Was this incident considered your fault? Technically it could've been much worse, and there was an obvious way to prevent it... So maybe not. You didn't need to feel guilty over this anyway. Sympathetic? Absolutely.

It's not like you didn't have tons to worry and feel guilty over instead.

"Can't handle a little spice, Frosty?" Tony calls, and you simply roll your eyes. He could be so childish.

"My brother has never taken to foods with spice well, as you can clearly see." Thor answered the obvious, trying to help his brother but probably only embarrassing him further.

"At least he has a weakness." Tony was going to wake up with green hair tomorrow. You didn't even have to chance it. You knew he was.

With the ice mostly broken, Clint had a wonderful idea. Absolutely fool-proof plan, to interrogate his already emotionally unstable savior.

"So, I was wondering if we could talk about earlier today. When I almost died- which is not your fault, Y/N; but we have a few questions."

You tensed the slightest bit. You knew this was coming, just... well, there was no excuse. You didn't want to talk about it, even though you now obviously have to.

"Sure. What's the first question?" You turn to face the table of Avengers.

"What exactly happened? Or, what was your perspective on the accident?" Steve started the interrogation.

You took a breath, steeling yourself. You absentmindedly started playing with your locket, rubbing it in between your fingers. 

"I had reached the halfway point in the training course, when Leo came sprinting in. You all saw that. Then he crashed into one of the towers, which inevitably led to Clint almost getting squashed. Sorry about that, by the way. I tried to get you all to move, but Clint was still under it. I chanced that he would survive with no injuries, and it seemed to do the trick." You pause, trying to decide how much more to tell them. You recall what had happened, and the amount of emotional stress over the flashback.