Chapter Three

*A/N: the gif is one of my favorite scenes!*

The doughnut shop was an easy target. It was only a few blocks away, super simple. Just drop down, cash the register, and jump out the open window. They always left the window open during the night, so the place didn't smell of doughnuts in the morning. At least that's what the walls said.

You approached the back of the building. The door had a big pink doughnut painted on the back, as if to remind everyone that this was indeed, the doughnut shop.

After you peek through the window, making sure no one's inside, you start picking the lock. Of course you're able to do it first try, simply because you've had months of practice. It's one of your many newfound skills.

You creep inside, relieved there was no bell attached. You tiptoe towards the register, avoiding any creaking floor boards. So far so good.

The register was easy to open. No lock. It also had quite a good amount of cash in it. A few twentys, hundreds, and like, four dollars. Perfect. After nabbing all the cash, you look around to see the arrows pointing towards the front door.

Not happening. The front door was A) locked, and B) had a bell attached. Anyone on the street would see and hear a burglar with a duffel bag exit the doughnut store. Not the best thing to happen in downtown New York.

Instead, you head to the open window, which would drop to the alley next to it. You climb on the counter, pulling the duffel with you through it.

You quickly slip into the shadows next to the wall, and shrug off the mask. It's really a horrible, itchy mask, but there wasn't much other option. Besides, it was only for the jobs. Afterwards, you could take it off to go into public. Win-win.

Everything was going perfectly.

Before it didn't.

Someone was here. You could feel their presence, and clutched the bag closer to your side. You were about to step into the open, when you felt something cold and round press onto your back.

You glance over your shoulder to see a masked man, holding you at gunpoint.

Crap.

You glance at the safety, and realize it's on. You then squint to read the labels on the gun, and pale when you do. It's loaded.

Double Crap.

"There's a hundred percent chance you won't kill me." You blurt out, hoping you'll be able to get away. But that was the last of your power reserve, so you're on thin ice. You should've followed the arrows. You should've.

"Why would I kill a pretty thing like you?"

"Why are you holding me at gunpoint?" You hurriedly try to change the subject, while also inching away.

"I want what's in the bag, muffin."

You consider your options. There really aren't any. If he takes the bag, he has proof. You can't let that happen. Sighing, you realize he can't kill you. You can still get away with the cash.

"No." You grit your teeth, closing your hand in a fist. It's a plan, no matter how horrible.

"Oh, I had hoped you would have agreed." He said, clicking the safety off. "You're such a pret-" 

Before he could finish, you threw a punch to his nose. He stumbled back, as you went to throw another.

But he dodged. You wound up punching a brick wall, hearing a sudden crunch. There was a new label, reading broken. Great, that took forever to heal.

There was a gunshot. You quickly grab the bag, racing out of the alley. Out of harm's way. You ignore the cramp growing in your side, running in any direction; just... away.

You finally stop for breath a few blocks later, once black dots started swarming your vision. A deep breath soon turns into a bloody coughing fit. That's not normal. Your side is instantly in pain, as your adrenaline wears off. Your hand instinctively clutches your side, only to pull away covered in blood.

He shot you.

Your eyelids threatened to close. Threatening to leave you on the side of the road, bleeding out. It wouldn't have been the mugger's fault if you bled out. Damn universe. 

You search frantically for the arrows. It was your only hope now. Finally, they're straight ahead. You manage a limping walk type thing, going as fast as you can. Almost there. Almost there.

You reached the front steps of a building. The arrows lead inside, but you were outside. That was... bad. No way you could make it much farther. You hurry to the locked doors, bloody fingers typing away at the keypad. You copied the code written above it, 8-10-01. You wonder who's birthday that even is.

This must've been a hospital or something, if the arrows were leading you here. Probably. Maybe. You didn't have time to think about that. You stumbled into the empty lobby, before you realized that you were still carrying the duffel. After that near-death experience, apparently you've grown attached to it.

You nearly fall on your face fifty times, but you finally make it to an elevator. You scan the panel of buttons, quickly pressing the one reading medical center. That seemed fitting. As it starts ascending, you lean against the wall of it, closing your eyes. So tired. But you have to stay awake. You drop the duffel on the floor, and focus on your breathing. It doesn't matter that the walls scream camera. It doesn't matter that this definitely isn't a hospital. It doesn't matter that the universe is literally against you. Well, it doesn't matter right now at least. You just needed to survive long enough to get to Leo.

Leo. He's probably whining right now. Meowing for you to return. Probably. Or he hasn't noticed, and is just sleeping. Either way, you had to return to him.

Halfway through the ride, the elevator stops. Just your luck. Stupid luck. You scan the walls for the panel. Every elevator has one. It's a manual override that can start or stop the ride instantly. Luckily, this one is right in front of you. You easily push it open, and start the lift again.

Finally, you arrive at the Medical Center. You try your hardest to keep consciousness, as the doors slowly... open enough for you to get out. You sway, as black starts rapidly enveloping your vision, but manage to stay aware enough that when you fall- you realize you landed in a pair of arms, belonging to a pair of bright green eyes.

(Note: I know the past chapters have been short, but hopefully the next one will be longer.)