Chapter Forty-One

(Your Pov)

"What?"

"Mother, what is going on?" Loki insisted. What did she mean she helped break your curse? It was even broken yet. Not that you knew of.

"Centuries ago, a man and a woman came to me with a cursed child." Frigga spoke, and you could instantly tell by the look in her eyes she was talking about your family. "I couldn't break the curse then, but I was able to create the key in which you could eventually."

"What key? How do I break it?" You were desperate. How do you break it? How do you break the curse that's held you captive for all these years? That's been controlling and altering your decisions, in fear of the unknown. "Please, I need to know."

"You've already broken it." She smiled, looking between you and Loki. When you said nothing, she explained further. "Love is the key. An act of love, one that would be able to overpower the curse and all its ties to you."

"Love?" You ask incredulously, staring at her in disbelief. What did she mean by love? You've loved hundreds of people- hell, you love your cat.

"The terrace, back on Midgard." Loki surmised, "The magic you used that night to save me, it wasn't just your own. Something else was in the workings." He was talking about that night after Stark's party, the one when you had sacrificed yourself to save him. That was the act of love?

"So love really was the answer, then." You laughed, not believing this was really over. For hundreds of years you've had to live with this damn curse, only for it to be removed so quickly? So easily? What... Why? Why now? Why this particular act?

"Come, I want to show you something." Frigga interrupted your thoughts, leading you two away from Thor and the King. It seemed Odin wanted to talk to Thor about something as well, although you couldn't quite imagine what.

The three of you walked through the halls in silence, as it was finally sinking in. You were free. Finally free from that curse. Finally free to do whatever you want, without the constant threat of dying, of chaos, or of losing someone or something.

But how could she be so sure? There had been times before that the inevitable disorder in your life would return later than usual, whatever had caused it to do so. You couldn't help but doubt in the slightest that you weren't really done with this, that the curse would return.

Frigga led you to a room, one that had you smiling the moment you walked in. An enormous two stories, windows lined with drapes along one side, multiple resting areas and even a few fireplaces. But of course your favorite thing there, the rows upon rows upon shelves of books. Every type of book imaginable- it was the biggest library you've ever seen.

"Wow." You sighed, as you breathed in that wonderful old book smell. You could even see scrolls tossed around in the mix, every form of reading material you could dream of. "This is amazing."

Both Loki and his mother smiled at you. At least now you know where he got it from. That wonderful endearing smile. You imagined he adopted many more of his mother's traits as well, most likely his love of books, magic, and mischievousness among them.

"What did you want to show us, mother?" Loki asked as your trio reached a sitting table. The three of you sat down, Frigga summoning teas and pastries a moment later.

"I thought you might want some nourishment for this conversation." She smiled knowingly. Yep. Definitely mischievous.

"And?" Loki pressed on, although instantly reaching for a small cake.

"And- if you still have your doubts- there is a way to test for enchantments or curses here." She smiled, as a small flower was summoned in her hand. It was a golden color, seeming to practically be glowing with magic. You tried to look at Loki for an explanation, although he seemed to be just as lost as you. "This is a flower from the tree of Yggdrasil. It will keep shining like this until it is robbed of its purity, for example, if it came in contact with a curse."

"Then what happens?" You questioned, eyeing the magic flower.

"It will wither into nothing but ash." She gently set the flower in front of you. What was there to lose? Except the super rare flower she was holding, of course.

You carefully pick it up, expecting it to wither away the moment you touched it. But instead, it remained solid. And kept staying solid, even seconds and minutes after you first picked it up.

"I'm cured." You said, smiling like an idiot. But you weren't an idiot, this was the best moment of your life. "I'm cured!" You erupt into happy laughter, reaching over to hug Loki a minute later. Saving him really was the best choice you could've made. You kiss him in your excitement, not even realising his mother was sitting right there.

Until she cleared her throat, reminding you of her presence. You pull back, a blush on both your and Loki's cheeks. "Thank you so much, your majesty." You say, "I have no words for how much this means to me."

"I have done nothing but show you the truth, my child. And please, you can call me Frigga." You smiled at how quickly she had accepted you. No wonder Loki looked up to her so much, this was the nicest queen you've ever met. And the only one, but you imagined she was much nicer than the others as well. "We really must catch up some time, darling. But I imagine you would like to show your lady around the palaxe, and I believe your father would like to speak with you as well." She smiled that same mischievous smile that Loki did, as you both looked at her suspiciously. It was obvious she knew something, although it seemed to be good news at least.

But what could be better than the news you just received? Your life could finally be more than just waiting for the next catastrophe. Waiting for destruction.

And all it took was a little fate.