Chapter Thirty-One

(Loki's Pov)

Bright. That was the first thing that came to his mind as he opened his eyes in the illuminated room. Such a drastic change to the darkness from behind his eyelids. Once his eyes adjusted though, it was clear to see that he was in the Avenger's healing wing.

At the Avenger's Tower.

Why did he feel like he was missing something-

Y/N!

Loki had saved her though, right? She was alive? Where was she then? How long had it been since the rescue?

With these thoughts fueling him, Loki shot up from his sleeping position, planning to jump from his bed and head to the door. But his plan started failing when a slight headache took place due to his sudden movements. Completely ignoring the signs, he went to get to his feet only to have them practically give out beneath his weight, resulting in him collapsing back onto the bed in a thump. The tussling of a person could then be heard behind him, as he turned to look.

It was his brother. How had he been so unfocused and panicking as to completely ignore Thor's presence?

"Loki? You've awakened!" Thor stood at this sudden realisation, heading to predictably embrace the dark prince.

"Where is Y/N?" Loki didn't waste any time getting to the point, and not even covering up his emotions in the slightest. He was beyond worried, and was too frantic to even consider that Thor -as well as the entire team at this point- already knew how he felt about her.

"She is alright, brother. If not for you she would not be alive right now." Thor replied, although Loki could see how there was something more. Whether it was how his tone softened, or that the light in his eyes dimmed ever so slightly. There was more to this story. Or perhaps the fact that Thor didn't answer his question directly to her location.

"How long has it been?" Loki continued his questioning, trying to calm himself enough to think clearly. He still didn't know where she was, or if she had awakened yet. That was the only explanation. He was certain that she would have stayed at his side until he had awoken, just as Thor had done. It's what he would have done -and unknowingly will do- had she been in his situation.

Unless she didn't reciprocate his feelings. Perhaps he had been too late, and she now hated him for it. Or maybe he hadn't healed her right, or-

"About two days. I am surprised you are as well as you seem. Lady Y/N-"

"What happened to her?" Loki interrupted, immediately assuming the worst.

"Nothing has happened, brother."

"So when can I see her?"

"You saved her life, Loki. You deserve rest."

"You are avoiding the question."

"She still has not awoken." Thor's words cut through him like a mere stick of butter, just like the ones Y/N used to use when she made her delicious pancakes. Yes, two days asleep after nearly dying seemed perfectly reasonable; but it was the fact that Thor had tried to cover it up that was the problem. Loki trusted his brother to tell him things like this. Especially if he already knew how important Y/N was to him. Thor should have said something. His brother should have told him.

"I'm going to her." Loki declared, forcing his numb body to its feet. It didn't matter if he had to lean on every wall to get there, Loki would be by her side when she woke. If she woke.

"Brother, you need to rest..." Thor said, moving to the other side of the room. Whether it was to block Loki or catch him when he inevitably fell, there was no way to decide.

"I need to see that she is truly alright." He snapped back, as he finally managed to regain control of his half-asleep limbs and push passed Thor into the hallway. It was only then that he realised that he still had no idea where you were.

Thor sighed from behind him. He knew Loki well enough to remember that when he actually cared about something or someone to this extent, nothing would stop him from making sure they were well, or at least to do everything in his power to help them.

"Come, I shall take you to her."

*

Loki and Thor arrived at Y/N's dorm, as they took in her slumbering form. Loki hadn't seen her yet because of obvious reasons, and Thor had only seen her briefly in between the times he actually left Loki's room. Usually he had left to eat, which would have had him travelling to the kitchen instead of the medical center that was practically halfway across the tower.

Loki glanced upon her sleeping form, before realizing that she hadn't exactly gotten out of that ordeal unscathed. Yes, he had healed most of her injuries, but even he couldn't heal everything. Fake magic blood was nowhere near as good -nor permanent- as the real thing, which is precisely what her body had been filled with. Skin could be stitched back together, blood had to be generated. And given how much blood she had lost in between her capture and the rescue, Y/N should stay sleeping for weeks to come.

She was sleeping though. That was pure relief for Loki, since it signaled that her body was healing. She was alive. His eyes trailed her showing features, being simply her bare arms and head above the thin sheets, as he realised how much he hadn't -couldn't- save her from. How much healing she still had from what she had gone through, both physical and emotional. 

Scars littered her skin, most of them looking days old, although a few were deep enough to manage to still look semi-fresh. Some of these semi-fresh pale lines included a thin line across her cheekbones, two on each shoulder, as well as two on each forearm. He was horrifyingly sure that the scars didn't stop there, probably getting more gruesome along the rest of her body.

He should've been there sooner. He should've fucking been there to save her. He shouldn't have let him do this to her. He should've made that asshole pay twice as what he did for even thinking to harm her.

To touch what was his.

*

Loki ended up staying by your side throughout the night and throughout the following days. The others were almost constantly wandering in and out, Bruce coming over to check your monitors more frequently than the others. He even took up bringing Loki something to eat, whether leftovers or an extra granola bar.

The others, especially Thor, tried to convince Loki that you wouldn't be waking up anytime soon, and to get some proper rest. Loki declined every time, although never stating the real reason why. He told himself that he wanted to be by your side when you woke up, although perhaps it was the fact that every time he closed his eyes he saw you dying, yet again in his arms. Reliving that scene over, and over, and over again until when he looked at your resting face all he could see was your life leaving your eyes.

He would never let that happen. You were his one and only, and he would never let you leave him unwillingly.

Never again.

(A/N: Chapter 31 is finally up! I had a question for all of you; do you know of any beginner writers who may want to 'team-up' to help each other write? Or if ya'll are one yourselves? I don't really know anybody who likes to gush and dive into the motives and backstories of characters like I do... So if anyone is looking for, or already knows another judge-free person who really likes plotting fiction, please DM me! Or just comment, that's great too! Thanks for reading!)