Chapter Thirty-Eight

(Your Pov)

Sleep never came. At least not for the first few hours. You sat awake in bed, staring at the ceiling. It wasn't that you weren't tired, it was that your mind was progressively growing more and more anxious. You knew everyone was in their rooms, but that didn't stop your stupid-ass brain from doubting it. You had just seen them! They were safe in their rooms. And you were safe in yours. Alone. No reason to stay awake.

But you did.

And this cycle went on for a few hours, you inevitably collapsing from exhaustion. That was how these things went. You always receiving the blunt end of bad situations.

*

The wind whipped around you, the ground beneath you cold and ungiving as ice. Where were you? All you could see were pale empty plains, nothing around for miles. You were alone. Completely and utterly alone.

And then a voice. Cruel and wicked and venomous. Its laugh wrung out on the landscape, echoing off objects not even there. A sense of dread filled up inside of you, like the inevitable was coming. Like something terribly horrific was about to-

"Help!" A voice cried out, you spinning in the direction it came from. In an instant your parents flashed before your eyes, followed by Leoine, and every other dead parental figure you've had after that. Each floated in front of you, each trapped in an ethereal ghost-like state. And one by one they were ripped from your sight, fading away from you.

Leaving you alone.

"See how it feels?" That same voice from earlier came again, a single figure on the horizon. "To have nothing? To have no one?"

"Stop." You whispered, falling to the ground. "I don't want this."

"Neither did I." And like that you were falling, your body quickly dropped back into that concrete cell. Boots sounded near the entrance, seeming much more menacing now.

It couldn't be.

You had been saved.

You were free!

"Hello again." Your tormentor's face was shown again, Kevin stepping into view. His voice was sharp and sinister, much unlike it was when you were there.

But you were here now. In this hellhole.

It wasn't real. It couldn't be.

"I escaped."

Kevin laughed.

"Loki saved me. The team rescued me."

He smirked, his grin growing larger than you thought possible.

"I was free!"

"You were never free, sweetheart." He sneered, pulling out a sharp, menacing device.

"No." Your body was slammed back to the table you had wanted to forget, facing the person you thought dead. "No!"

"Goodbye~" He brought the now-buzzing machine down...

*

"No!" You shout, jumping up. "No, no, no, no, no, no." You glance around the room, finding it empty. You were alone. Again. Always alone.

You never escaped. You were still there, kidnapped and being tortured. By the dastardly Kevin. To think you had thought his name was humorous- now you were terrified. That much pain, that much hopelessness in you just couldn't be erased overnight.