Chapter 6: The Mysterious Man

Laura's apartment. / The streets of Detroit.

Laura still couldn't believe that Frank had sent her home so suddenly with an order not to show up at the company until she will be fully recovered. Of course, he wouldn't be himself if he hadn't given her some extra papers to look over. After all, free time should be put to good use. For the moment, Laura had other things on her mind. She was just about to leave for a doctor's appointment. Sarif undoubtedly cares about his employees, and she will be examined today. Usually, she had to wait until the next day at least. Dressed in a long-sleeved, orange crew neck sweater, leather biker jacket, dark blue jeans, and biker boots, she left the house. The corridors were quiet today, no quarrels, no parties, no usual cooked food smell. Fortunately, she didn't bump into a nosey neighbor either.

The medication accomplished their job and Laura felt less terrible, but only a little. She could call a cab or go by subway, but for the time being, she was short of money and should save some for a rainy day. So she had to walk. Luckily it was a relatively warm day for the fall season, and the sun cheered her up a bit. Laura took a quick look at the huge screen from which Eliza Cassan was broadcasting the latest live news from Picus TV. Whenever she looked at her, it seemed to have something artificial about her, but she couldn't pinpoint what. She passed by passionate lovers who were close to having sex on the street. Several times she was hit by strangers hurrying somewhere, but she did not possess the strength to argue about the stupid 'Sorry'. She took out smartphone from the handbag and plugged in headphones. A moment later music muffled unpleasant sounds of the city.

There's not just lies and hate

behind the make up on my face

but I'm so good in playing this game

I played the game all day, all night

A million times I crossed the line

but in the end just anguish remains

When everything's destroyed

We find a heart inside the void

She saw the policemen checking the ID of some shady types. Laura turned right and crossed the street at the traffic lights. A few minutes later she was at the local clinic. Several people were waiting in a large waiting room. The phone was ringing in the distance and children, as usual, were making noise, despite their parents warnings. Laura approached the reception desk, separated from the rest of the room by a glass pane. The receptionist was filling out some overdue paperwork on the computer, but seeing her she stopped instantly and smiled kindly.

"How can I aid you?" she asked politely, fixing her blonde hair tied up in a bun.

"I have an appointment for today." Werner replied, gently bringing the smartphone closer to the reader.

"That's right." the woman confirmed right after seeing the data sent from the phone. "Consulting-room number 16. The doctor will see you in a moment." her bangs moved as she tilted her head and glanced back at the monitor.

When Laura stepped back from the reception, a woman went back to work. It had been maybe half an hour when Werner left the consulting-room. On her way home, she stopped by the pharmacy to purchase some prescribed medicine and also did some grocery shopping, just in case. During her week off, she preferred limiting going out to the absolute minimum, and preferably hole up inside four walls and catch up on some good old movies. Unfortunately, Frank had other plans for her. He was already messing up with her free time, and it was only a matter of time that he'll come up with something new. As the auburn-haired girl was leaving the store, she was accidentally hit by a stranger. The paper bag fell on the ground and several apples rolled out from the inside.