Chapter 32: The Return.

Washington.

While heading to the Control Room, Laura bumped everyone she encountered on her way, including Connor. The man was unable to catch up with her, so he decided to go straight to the hotel and wait there. The woman carelessly packed her things and left the building. It was over, Adam showed his true face and how much she really meant to him. Standing at the door of the room she nervously looked for her key card not knowing there was someone else in the hall.

"Are you going to tell me what happened or should I force it on you?" the man asked while keeping his distance from her.

"Fuck off, I don't feel like confiding," she growled furiously, sliding her card through the reader slot.

Connor managed to get in before she could close the door in front of his nose. She tried to punch him with her fists and kick him, but he overpowered Laura with a few swift moves. She already knew he must have had some training, maybe even been a security guard before working at Sarif Industries. She also knew that any violent movement risked breaking an arm or leg so she limited herself to just lay on the floor admiring the fibres of the beige carpet.

"You can talk to Adam like that, but not to me. I haven't done anything to you, and you attack me like a rabid animal," he said in a rough tone filled with anger.

"You barged into my room, that's enough," she hissed. "Now let me go and get the fuck out of here."

"I'm not letting go until you change your tone, much less go away," he replied a tad more calmly. "What happened in there?"

Seeing Laura start to break down and her anger gives way to the grief he decided to let her go, he even reached out a hand to help her get up. Surprisingly she didn't refuse. The woman sat on the bed hiding her face in her hands. She didn't know where to start or at all how Connor would take her words.

"Adam got mad. That was to be expected. Many unkind words were said about whores and such. I wanted to hit him, but I didn't succeed. Then I walked out and that was it," she finally shrugged her shoulders.

"You two are acting like kids," Connor sighed sitting down next to her. "And what are you going to do now?" he asked looking at her carefully.

"I'm going back to Detroit," she replied in a firm tone. "You'll take over my duties. Everything has already been done anyway so this is just a formality," she stood up and went to get her suitcase into which she began carelessly throwing clothes.

"This isn't a solution just an escape," he stated, walking up to Laura and grabbed her arm in a firm motion."Let me go," she muttered, trying to yank it away. "I've already decided, and you won't be able to stop me."

"How are you going to get back there? On foot?" he snarled taking a few steps back.

"By foot, by bus, by hitch, by plane, by whatever," she enumerated as the panties, the dress from the party, and Adam's shirt, she'd accidentally had to take, landed in her suitcase.

"I'll call my pilot and ask him to take you. I won't let you go back alone," he said grabbing her shoulders.

"Thank you," she quietly said escaping with a sideways glance.

The man reached for his phone in the back pocket of his grey jeans, scrolling through his contact list for a moment until he found the pilot's number. He walked around the room with the smartphone held to his ear and his free hand wrapped around the chest.

"Hi Markus, are you free today?" he asked hoping for the answer he expected. "Yeah? That's great. Listen, could you fly down to D.C.? I'd like you to take Miss Werner to Detroit," Connor listened nodding slowly. "That's great, thanks I owe you one."