Chapter 18: The magic of Uppsala.

Sweden - Uppsala / Gamla Uppsala.

They really got to Sweden in no time. It was around 8 am so they could see the daylight instead of gloomy darkness. Laura asked Faridah to land on the outskirts of Uppsala, which welcomed them with a cold and snow. There was an old cemetery partly hidden in a grove. On its edge a small wooden chapel was built, and the whole was surrounded by a solid stone fence. Although modern technology did not touch the place, there was a helipad. Malik got out with Laura to stretch her legs, enjoy views other than the gloomy skyscrapers of Detroit and breathe in the clean air.

"If you want, you can come with me, that's no problem," Laura offered.

"I'll better keep an eye on the VTOL. I noticed one of the lights was flashing, so I need to check it out. Don't worry it's nothing serious," she lied. The true matter was Adam sitting inside.

"I understand, I'll be back in about a quarter of an hour maybe a little longer," she informed.

"Take your time; we have plenty of it."

The girl nodded and left, wearing a blue cap on the way. Fly Girl also felt that this was a rather personal moment and she didn't feel important enough to participate in it yet so she didn't give in to Laura's urging. Besides, the red-grey jumpsuit was inappropriate for the circumstances. The Auburn-haired girl opened the metal gate, which creaked quietly and disappeared behind the fence. Adam came out of his hiding place when Malik gave him the sign. He wasn't happy at all with where he was taken to. To be honest, that's too delicate term; Jensen was furious.

"We made a deal," he growled, nervously fumbling in his pocket for cigarettes.

"Washington, I know. We'll fly there, just in a slightly different order. Meanwhile, you should hide," Faridah said calmly.

"Don't tell me what the hell should I do!" he rebuked her and started struggling with the lighter. The problem with shaking hands was back.

Malik merely shook her head and leaned her back against the VTOL. She hadn't signed up for the babysitting role, just the pilot.

"You'll both thank me for this soon, I can feel it in my bones," she muttered under her breath. "You should take the time to learn the Faridah's mantra. Repeat after me: Faridah is always right. I will always listen to Faridah! I will not ignore Faridah's recommendations. Faridah is a god!" she declaimed, punctuating every sentence with slight waving of index finger.

"Over my dead body," he replied while holding a cigarette in his mouth, which he finally managed to light up.

Laura walked unhurriedly through the narrow alleys until she reached the proper tombstone. After a moment's hesitation, she rubbed her hand over the stone slab placed on the ground. It was partially overgrown with moss and covered with snow. Laura revealed an inscription carved in even, elegant letters: "Here rest the tragically deceased, Margaret (1966-2009) and Anthony (1956-2009) Dormer. Their light went out too soon." The girl took out a blue candle from her handbag and, after lighting, placed it on the grave. Miss Werner was ashamed that she had only been here twice since her parent's death. The first one was at the funeral and the second on another occasion.

"I'm home but I feel lost," she whispered. "I don't know what to do, and I don't want to go on. My problems pile up overnight and I don't even want to, can't talk about it with anyone. All I'm good at is only hurting and pushing others away from me. I've gotten myself into horrible shit... This is not how you raised me. I failed you... Forgive me..."