Chapter 56: The Zero Hour - Part 2.

Sarif Industries

David Sarif's office.

The 0 hour.

The alarm did not stop, and the robotic, female voice continued to repeat in a loop: Environmental malfunction, laboratory sub-section six. All lab chiefs, please report in. Adam took his phone out of his pants pocket and dialled the Head of Cyber Security's number.

"Pritchard, I'm at Sarif's so maybe you can explain to me the reason for this alarm in subsection six of the labs," he said in a nervous tone.

"I'm the one who triggered it. We're checking security with Laura and Connor. Everything is under control," he replied.

"You should have done it earlier!"

"Princess was resting. There was no time."

Jensen didn't want to argue with him, especially since Sarif heard everything so he just hung up.

"Everything's fine, boss. Pritchard must have checked new security features. The alarm is about to go off," he informed.

"For God's sake! Couldn't he have done it earlier?"

"You know him boss. He's always been like that," The Security Chief evaded further explanation, not wanting Laura to have any more problems. Admittedly, she had the day off, but in an emergency situation she should be at the company. For Pritchard, these emergencies happen every second.

"You're right. If it weren't for his outstanding skills, I would have fired him long ago."

***

Sarif Industries

Underground parking lot.

10 minutes past midnight.

Five black armoured vans impetuously broke the railings prohibiting access to the parking lot. A security guard fell out of the guardhouse armed with a pistol, seeking to respond to the intrusion. A single shot hit the concrete ceiling, and the man's body shook with spasms. A short burst from an automatic rifle perforated him like a sieve, spraying pearls of blood into the air. His bulletproof vest did not help. The bodyguard fell inertly to the ground next to his baseball cap with the Sarif Industries logo. His dead stare was frozen on the wall of the watchtower, partially stripped of paint. The roar of engines filled the space. Another series of shots were fired. A woman's scream, a man's terror. Several guards fell lifeless before they could reach for their holstered weapons. The faint lights of the ceiling lamps blinked rhythmically. Almost 50 people poured out of the vans like a sea. They were dressed in black military-style body armor with red elements and balaclavas. One of them, probably the squad leader, ordered his subordinates to split up with a hand gesture. Half moved down the fire stairs, while the other moved through the double doors of the warehouse, which were blown up almost without any sound.

***

Sarif Industries

David Sarif's office.

15 minutes past midnight.

Another message appeared on the screen in Sarif's office. This time it came from the lobby. Adam was beginning to have doubts, but if something had happened, he would know about it.