Chapter 46: The Shades Of Gray.

Laura burst into loud tears, but she knew this was how it would end. Adam must have been extremely angry and disappointed because he didn't take Vanilla or his things. Wanting to push the bad thoughts away she started cleaning. The washing machine was still running, so she couldn't hang up the laundry. Laura thought about packing Adam's things and taking them to Chiron so that he would not have to see her. She abandoned that thought very quickly for fear that he would be even angrier with her. The hacker walked around the living room and kitchen though her feet were burning. All her dreams shattered, burst like a soap bubble. It had been over an hour since Jensen had left. Every minute that went by took away her hope the way one loses one's breath. She stood over the sink washing dishes even though she had a dishwasher. She had to do something without stopping, or the bad thoughts would kill her. When she finished washing up, she wanted to get on with more cleaning so she went out into the hallway to get the vacuum cleaner. She didn't hear the door opening and the increasingly loud footsteps.

"You should lock the door, Miss Werner," the hacker heard that distinctive husky voice, but she thought it was just her imagination.

Suddenly she was pressed with her back against the wall. The man put down the rectangular object, wrapped in elegant paper and tied with a ribbon, on the top of a chest of drawers standing nearby.

"You must have come back for your things. You're right you shouldn't be messing around with a mere whore..."

He interrupted her with a firm, long kiss. He rested his outstretched arms on either side of her head pushing himself close enough that she couldn't escape.

"Please let me decide who I want to mess with," he said firmly, with a certainty that took the power from her legs.

She thought she was about to faint. Adam was so determined, he knew so decisively what he wanted and he wasn't taking 'no' for an answer. When he pulled his lips away from hers, after a second hot kiss, he took her chin between his thumb and forefinger lifting it up slightly.

"You were not, are not and will not be a whore," he said looking into her eyes. "Don't ever talk about yourself like that again."

She was ready for anything. She had already accepted the rejection, resigned to her fate, but Adam had decided to spoil everything. Spoil it in such a wonderful, somewhat brutal way. Her debt to him was mounting, but she knew Jensen would be angry if she mentioned it.

"Get the word 'debt' out of your vocabulary, too. I know you well enough to know you are capable of thinking that way," he muttered kissing her forehead.

The Security Chief moved away from the hacker but only to take off his coat and shoes. He took the mysterious object with him and went with her to the living room. They sat together on the sofa next to the sleeping cats. Vanilla rested her head against Stalker's neck and embraced him with her paw. The black tomcat didn't even twitch when they came in.

"This is for you as a symbol of a new beginning," he announced handing her a package.

"What is it?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

"See for yourself," he replied mysteriously. The hacker untied the ribbon and unwound the paper. Adam noticed she paid attention to the smallest things and really didn't want to tear up the packaging.

"A diary?" she said surprised.

"Mhm. You can write in it how handsome, manly and gorgeous I am," he said feigning pride.

The woman moved closer and said in his ear: "I won't miss mentioning your elephant either."

Adam grunted, she also noticed how he blushed slightly hearing her words. Laura decided not to embarrass him further though she had a few more comments in mind.