Chapter 23: The One Called Navras.

Detroit. Laura's apartment.

Laura struggled furiously but the attacker did not give her a chance to escape, much less a counterattack. He was amused by the insults he heard from her lips, but for his safety, he still held her hands tightly. The woman fought furiously for her life, but her every move was just another loss of strength.

"You haven't changed a bit, Little Orchid," he said, counting on that the woman will come to her senses before she completely exhausts her strength in this pointless hand waving.

Miss Werner suddenly stopped fighting as if a spell had been cast on her with those two words. She slowly analyzed what she had just heard, not believing it could be true.

"What kind of sorcery is this?!" she growled, growing suspicious again. She tugged her entire body a few times, slowly looking up at the face of the man who let go of one of her hands to remove the dark purple hood from his head. "Navras..." she whispered and in a split second, she became as gentle as a lamb.

"Well you finally said something sensible," he muttered, taking a step away from her. "And now..."

"Joe! By all the plagues of the world!" she screamed furiously

"Joe! By all the plagues of the world!" she screamed furiously. "Where the fuck have you been all this time?! Answer me, or I'll rip your balls off!" Laura started punching him with anger, not controlling what she was aiming at. "I needed you! Now you dare come in here like nothing the fuck is wrong?! You have no idea what I've been through!"

Navras just stood there and let her vent her anger. "Beat me! Humiliate me! Say dirty things to me. Oh yes, that's just the way I like it," he muttered with amusement while removing his black gloves and tucking them into the pocket of his black fancy-cut coat, which glinted purple in the light. With that gesture, he revealed his cybernetic prosthetic arms. "A little more on the back, please," he said with sarcasm in his voice.

The man hoped that in a moment she would get over it as she usually did, but not this time. He sighed in boredom, seeing that Laura wasn't going to stop beating him at all. Fortunately, he was an aug, so her furious blows were barely a tickle to him. Navras's dermal armor was absorbing each successive blow, but it was also becoming gradually depleted in a process.

"Control yourself, dammit!" he always tried being calm when dealing with Laura, but there came times like this when his patience was abused. "Instead of wasting our time and your strength you better tell me what's going on here."

Laura, tired of blowing off steam at Joe, looked at him with the gaze of a spoiled brat, then suddenly she wrapped her arms around his waist tightly and snuggled in. The man sighed again, put his arms around her, and tousled Laura's hair, now tied in a high ponytail. He was about twelve inches taller than her, but that didn't bother him at all.

"Unfortunately I don't have much time. Coming here was very risky anyway, but I had to do it," he said in a bass-baritone voice that could be deep and after a while makes her shiver with its lightness. Laura loved listening to him in every version, and he knew it perfectly well.