Chapter 59: The Distorted Reality.

Connor's apartment.
Two days after the attack.

When they finished eating, Connor went to clean up and feed the cat. He always cleaned up right away and was never seen with piles of dirty dishes. The same was true of dirty clothes. He usually vacuumed twice a day, wiping every stain or fingerprint. He was also known for taking off his shoes before entering the house. Crumbs on the bedding made him clench his teeth so hard that his jaw went numb. Connor remained silent because he liked Laura, and after what she had been through it would be rude to keep cleaning up or worse, admonishing her.

"You didn't say a word about how much I screwed up the company's security issue," she said immediately when he returned to the bedroom.
"You didn't screw up anything. This attack would have happened anyway, and we did everything we could," he replied, not very pleased that he kept going back to what it was.
"I could have done more," she muttered and took a few sips of her already cold tea.
"You're very fond of feeling sorry for yourself," he sighed. "I don't know who taught you programming and hacking but he did it perfectly."
"Joe taught me," she replied, though it wasn't entirely true. Damien also passed on his knowledge to her, through which everyone including Adam suffered. The song she heard in the company during the attack was a message from him. Of that she was sure.

Connor did not urge Laura to do anything. She decided to tell another one of her stories herself. The man had the impression that it was helping her to some extent so he just listened.

***

There's a canvas with two faces
Of fallen angels who loved and lost
It was a passion for the ages
And in the end guess we paid the cost

A thing of beauty, I know
Will never fade away
What you did to me, I know
Said what you had to say
But a thing of beauty

***

Berlin 2011.
Lemon-Lime.

Laura and Joe's relationship, if what's between them can be described that way at all, was like water communing with fire. There were days when they were able to communicate without words and the strength of the bond between them was evident. Together they formed a solid foundation that nothing could destroy. Then came a time which started with misunderstandings and quarrels over petty things. Conflicts gradually escalated, sentences were said that each of them regretted, doors slammed, glasses and plates smashed. When Joe forbade Laura to talk to some customers, he did so out of concern for her safety. Unfortunately, all sorts of people came to Lemon-Lime. Most of them he already knew quite well, and the girl couldn't understand his reasons. She let those people for too much, thinking she was attractive and they simply loved her. Besides, Joe resented her for giving up learning programming and hacking. Joe felt this would happen, but deep down he hoped he was wrong. He could use the time he spent on explaining and figuring out tasks for Laura to find the culprits behind his fiancée's death. Laura couldn't understand this either, but only because he didn't tell her directly.

It was Friday the thirteenth. An ordinary day like many others. Neither of them was superstitious and did not foresee something bad could happen. Joe, after another argument, locked himself in his cave with the intention of staying there as long as possible. One of the screens showed a map of the city and a red cursor point was blinking slowly. After about half an hour of piecing together facts and looking for clues, he was unable to find anything new. Joe had enough of wandering around in the dark. Everything was falling apart like a sand castle, even what he had started building with Laura.

"Listen carefully. I have information for you," he heard over the infolink when he wanted to leave already. "Visit the old warehouses. Maybe you'll find what you're looking for so much."
"Who are you? Where did you get this frequency?" Navras asked.