Chapter 8: The great plan.

Sarif Industries - Headquarters.

The whole week passed way too fast. After the illness actually only a memory remained. Yet the bandage on Laura's hand still reminded her about the photo e-mailed by an unknown person. For the first time, she was joyful to see the large foyer and the round, red desk of the reception area at Sarif Industries. The bright lights of informative audio and visual displays didn't bother her at all. Being here again was like salvation, like being reborn. Even the sight of Adam settling some dispute didn't spoil her mood. Laura felt safe somewhat knowing that he's on duty. Following the new plan, she nodded to Jensen in greeting as he looked at her. The auburn-haired girl decided that today she would stand out of the crowd. Apparently, she succeeded because the head of security could not look away from her for a long time. She was wearing a long-sleeved x-line knee-length dress in a light shade of blue with a pattern of navy blue dots. The whole was completed with not very thick navy blue tights and Mary Jane type shoes.

"What a sacrifice. Let's hope it pays off for me." she thought, taking off her gray coat and slowly walking up the stairs.

She didn't even have time to reach the first floor when the head of security caught up with her. The plan is working all too well since he is already following her. However, she tried hiding her pride. She straightened her handbag hanging on her right shoulder and smiled kindly. Oh yes, with a smile, always with a smile...

"Hello, Miss Werner. How are you feeling?" Adam asked while taking off his long, black coat.

"Much obliged, for your concern. I feel better now." she replied, still smiling.

Jensen glanced at her bandaged hand but didn't mention a word about it. Laura, in turn, noticed that he had cleaned his coat and was wearing that awful brown turtleneck sweater again.

"That's good because I'm afraid we'll have to repeat the personal search."

"Fuck, fuck! Rot in hell you sneaky bastard!" she thought, but still didn't give him even a hint that she was nervous. "But of course, no problem."

At most, Frank will slay her, no big deal. A few minutes later they were already in Adam's office. Knowing the procedures, she did not wait for him to ask for the handbag but handed it over to him willingly. The head of security was examining the Crunchy Pirate's cereal box again and to her misfortune this time he confiscated it. „And shit just hit the fan." Laura thought but remained calm, unshaken by even a hint of fear. He saw no trembling of her hands, no drops of sweat on her temples, no nervous biting of her lip. Jensen saw nothing because the girl standing before him was now like an oak, not aspen. Though hurricanes raged deep inside her, outside there was a mask. She didn't even flinch when he touched her, as his fingers wandered unhurriedly along her sides, as his hands tightened on her shoulders, forearms, and hands. She didn't sigh, didn't say a single unpleasant word.

"That would be all, you're free to go." he announced in a cool, formal tone.

Miss Werner gathered her things, said goodbye, and left. She was pretty sure she could feel his gaze on her back until she closed the door behind her. Laura ran straight to the restroom. Standing alone in front of a mirror she could hear her heart pounding wildly in her chest and feel how muffled emotions were wielding her like a puppet. She splashed ice-cold water on her face, letting drops drip from her eyelashes, nose, and chin. She was supposed to be indifferent, but meanwhile, she was burning with fire. Instead of thinking about how to retrieve a box of cereal out of his office, she thought about Adam himself. That gentle touch of his, the one she could not resist. The memory of his hot breath near her neck made Laura shiver. It was so hard to just stand there and pretend indifference, so damn hard...