Chapter 50: The Truce.

I couldn't celebrate 50th chapter without Joe and Poets Of The Fall. 💙💙 💜💜 See you in the next one! 🙂😀😃😄

_____________________________________

    Berlin

Berlin. Year 2010.

When Laura opened her eyes, Joe was sitting in the armchair next to the bed, checking the order forms.

"Making sure I don't escape?" she muttered with a yawn.

"I already told you you were a guest. I was waiting for you to wake up. I wanted to... talk," he explained putting the cards into an even stack. "You're partially right. I was afraid you'd run away, but I didn't guard you."

"You were afraid?" she asked surprised, raising an eyebrow. She rolled over onto her left side, resting her head on a bent arm. "You don't even know me."

"Look, we ended our last night's conversation the wrong way. I don't want you to leave here in an atmosphere of anger. It's just that opening night is something special for me, a moment of remembrance. Neither Toby nor I have told you about it. I always lock myself in my room then and spend time alone."

"This time did you forget to lock the door because of me or did you subconsciously want me to come in?"

"I don't know."

"Let me tell you something. No one should suffer in solitude. Therefore let me be with you then. I can sit quietly."

Joe smiled slightly. "We'll try it next time."

"And one more thing. I'm staying here."

"And your parents? They're probably worried."

"They died in a car accident. I, unfortunately, survived."

"Sorry, I didn't know."

"You can't read minds. It's understandable you don't know."

Joe wanted to deny it but bit his tongue in time. He had once been able to read minds to some extent, to pick up individual impulses and put them together, but the implant he had was highly unstable and inaccurate so he had limited himself to turning it off at first. Besides, he considered mind-reading unethical, so after many attempts, Toby managed to remove it permanently. He still had a CASIE implant, but he did not use it either. He wanted to preserve all that remained of the human in him.

"You're right, and I'm very happy about that. If we had these capabilities, no one could have a shred of privacy."

"Who's in the picture you were looking at last night?"

"You ask too many questions," there was clear anger in his voice.

The man rose from his seat. He couldn't stand her prying, though he was more afraid she would see him weak again as he was yesterday. Laura rose abruptly from the bed, wanting to stop him. Paralysed by pain, she tried to grab onto something but felt she wouldn't be able to catch her balance.