Chapter 41: The Great Ball Part II

Sarif Industries

Jensen twitched, showing his nervousness at what he heard. Connor wasn't surprised at all and was the only one applauding her. Megan shook her head in resignation, and Sarif, in a desperate attempt to save his good name, with a wide smile encouraged the gathered crowd to dance, forcing the Security Chief and Doctor Reed to lead by example. Laura was squeezing through the crowd toward the exit when she felt someone grabbing her arm.

"Get off me, Adam. I don't care what you think," she growled, trying to free herself.

"But I do care about you," Connor replied softly. "Besides, you're not going to turn me down for a dance, are you?" he asked, fixing his black and white jacket, from under which a dark purple shirt and black tie with tiny blue hexagons were visible.

The hacker sighed. She didn't like situations like this, but it gave her a chance to question him about the gift.

"One dance, and then I'm leaving," she replied.

"Agreed," he smiled, wrapping his arms around her waist and gently taking her left hand.

"Connor?" she lifted her head to look into his eyes.

"That look doesn't bode well," he muttered amusedly.

"You bought me this dress, didn't you?" She asked straightforwardly without playing the trick, watching his reaction.

The man laughed. "I would love to, but Vito Valentino is an expensive boutique."

"How do you know it's from that particular store?" she inquired, wrinkling her brow.

"Oh man, you should probably be a detective because I feel like I'm being interrogated," he gasped quietly. "I was looking for something appropriate for the ball and went to Vito Valentino, but the prices effectively discouraged me so I left. I saw a similar gown there."

At the next turn, Connor noticed that Adam wasn't focusing his attention on Megan at all but on them so he decided it was high time to kick him hard right in the balls.

"You want to win Adam back?" he asked directly, changing the subject.

"Why do you ask out of a sudden? After all, you don't like him," the hacker was surprised by his directness.

"Just answer," he insisted.

"Of course I do, but he's the one who should be fight..."

Connor interrupted her with a sudden kiss so fervent she felt like she was about to faint. While doing so, he peeked to know if Jensen was still watching, regretting that he couldn't take a picture right now.

"Are you crazy?!" she growled, but he silenced her with another kiss.

"Don't scream. If this is going to work, you need to act natural," he said snuggling his face into her neck. "You smell wonderful, and your lips are so sweet. I envy him," he muttered.

"That comment is part of the plan?" she inquired, trying to calm herself.

"It's a private observation that I don't regret one bit," he replied in a confident voice.

"We need to have a serious talk," she said wanting to warn him but not getting the desired effect.

"Whatever you want, sweetheart, but not now. Adam is watching us. I'm betting another minute, and I'll lose at least half of my teeth," he muttered in her ear.