Chapter 39: The death or paradise?

With an uncertain step, Adam approached the door. After opening it, he slowly immersed in the familiar smell of the cottage in Uppsala. It was a miracle that Sarif had given him as much as two days off and a VTOL at his disposal. If all went according to plan, he would stay here with Laura for the weekend. What more could he want? He left his bag in the hall, hung his coat on the coat rack, and finally took off his shoes. "Laura, it's me, Adam. I needed to see you," he wanted to say but was afraid he would startle her. The man carefully walked down the hallway toward the living room, passing the kitchenette on his left. Laura was sitting on the sofa with Stalker asleep in her lap. Jensen smiled to himself, he wanted to surprise her, to show her how much he cared about her. It had been a long time since he had so much optimism and desire for change in him. Just a few more steps. Three, two, one, and... He saw Connor approach the hacker with a plate full of hot toast. She took one with a smile of gratitude. He saw him wipe the crumbs from the corner of her mouth with his thumb, move closer, lean in and, capture her chin between his thumb and forefinger. Right after he kisses her cupid's bow and then sinks into the taste of her mouth. Adam froze in stillness. He should act, do anything but he couldn't. He watched as he took Laura in his arms and walked with her to the bedroom. Jensen ran after them trying to break down the door but to no avail. He pounded on it with his fists and arm until he felt a piercing pain.

A scream rang out in the silence, mingled with the darkness his room was in. Adam sat on the bed trembling with rage. He was all sweaty as if he had actually used force just moments ago. The man rubbed his face with his hands, stood up, and slowly walked over to the window.

"The blinds," he said furiously but nothing happened. "Blinds!" still nothing. "Fucking blinds!" he roared and finally the pale neon light began to enter the apartment.

Adam rubbed his temples, noting with horror that he was no longer recognizing himself. He reached for his cigarettes, but his mouth was quickly twisted into a grimace of disgust. Although Connor had seemed sincere during their last conversation, the ex-SWAT had been unable to stay calm. When his fears had reached the realm of dreams, it must have been very bad. Vanilla came and slalomed past, rubbing against his legs. He heard a loud, drawn-out purr that sounded just like comfort. In the path he took between the bedroom and the kitchen, at least a dozen memories struck him. He remembered vividly how much effort it had taken to find Genmaiha, Laura's favorite green tea. He had learned that thanks to Malik's help. Adam felt the skin on his palms burn as if he had held them against the hacker's belly only moments ago. He had lost it all, let something beautiful fly away, and now he was stuck mired in darkness and cold uncertainty. Jensen put a portion of cat food in the bowl, which quickly began to disappear. Soon after, he ate a bowl of cereal himself, though he didn't feel like it.

While brushing his teeth, he was about to break another mirror but stopped in mid-motion with his eyes fixed on his reflection. He looked pathetic. With a tart taste in his mouth, the same as after eating a lemon, he found there was nothing left of the old Adam in him. He noticed blood in the trickle of saliva he spat out along with the paste. He didn't feel it when he bit his lip, the imaginary aftertaste killed its real, metallic taste. Jensen knew he was stuck locked in a room with no doors or windows. He could accept the destiny, sit in the corner and wait for everything to be taken from him, or he could try to find a weak spot that would set him free. After more than a dozen failed attempts to comb his hair, he gave up. It always ended the same way - it stuck out like a comb on the head of a rooster. After leaving the bathroom he decided that he would drink coffee, he did not feel like going to the company so he delayed this moment. He wanted to take a few sips but was interrupted by the phone ringing. With a loud sigh of anger, Jensen put the cup down and went into the living room. The smartphone jangled on the coffee table tapping rhythmically against the wooden surface. The man reached for it and frowned his brow.