Chapter 22: The Sacrifice.

Detroit - Adam's apartment.

Adam understood what Laura had tried to protect him from and had failed. It seems that her ex is now trying to intimidate him using Miss Werner to accomplish his goal. As a former police officer, he knew well how the mechanism in the blackmailer's mind worked and decided that he would not allow becoming a part of it. He inserted the lock of auburn hair along with the message back into the envelope and stowed it in a desk drawer. More than for himself, he was afraid of what this madman might do to Laura. What if Faridah fails to protect her? What if something will happen to Miss Werner because of him? The man poured himself some whisky, took a sip from his glass, and, in a fit of rage, threw it against the wall. The glass rattled, shattered into dozens of shards, leaving a wet, irregular stain on the wallpaper, and trickles of alcohol lazily flowing down in crooked lines. Why did Sarif have to come up with this idiotic idea? Jensen tried to think of a solution, but Laura was going to be the most important person of that day and no compromise could compensate for that. Adam wanted to welcome the New Year with her by his side and open a new chapter in his life. Meanwhile, his plans went straight to hell. Even if he tells her, if he does it as sincerely as he can, everything they started building together will fall apart like a house of cards. Once again he could not find a place for himself in his own house.

After more than half an hour of aimlessly wandering around the living room and bedroom, he decided take a shower. Unfortunately, even hot water was unable to ease his troubles. All the moments with Laura scrolled before his eyes like a slide show. Not much time had passed since they had met, but she left so many vivid, intense memories in his mind as if they had known each other for at least ten years. He stepped out on the rubber mat with a towel wrapped around his waist, walked towards the basin, and rested his outstretched arms on the edge of it. Adam wiped the steamy mirror with his hand, immediately regretting it. He still couldn't look at his reflection, refraining at the last moment from smashing the mirror once again. Water dripped from his hair to the floor, ran down from the nape of his neck to his back, made its way down his medium hairy chest, tickling the skin. Adam closed his eyes, dreaming of Laura's hands, warm and gentle, instead of those drops on his skin. He longed to feel her breath, and most of all, the fact that she was next to him.

As soon as he left the bathroom, he found the Golden Icarus brand cigarettes, furiously stating that there was only one left in the crumpled box. He lit it and lay down on the bed. He reached for his phone and searched for the photos from Gamla Uppsala that Faridah had sent him. Adam stared at each of them for a long time, then watched the recorded video and smiled at his memories.

***

Detroit - Faridah's apartment.

Faridah lived on the third floor and was already waiting for a visitor in the ajar door, smiling broadly. After a short but cordial greeting, Laura released Stalker from the cage, took off her jacket, and hung it on a hanger, bolted to the gray wall on the right. Below it stood a horizontal orange cabinet where she stashed her shoes. Next to it was another narrow, vertical one of the same color. Through the open door ahead, with a wardrobe next to it, Laura could see the living room connected to the kitchen. Stalker trotted off to explore the new place, looking for cardboard boxes and items awaiting to be checked if they could bounce. Malik showed Laura the laundry room which was accessed from the hall, and there was also a toilet in case of an emergency when someone occupied the bathroom. Right at the entrance to the living room, there was a round table with four chairs. Behind it, against the wall, an orange three-seater sofa with black cushions decorated with a white and red stripe along with the N7 logo was placed. In front of it, on the opposite wall, there was a large flat TV. Eliza Cassan was broadcasting the latest news from Picus TV at the moment. The models of airplanes hanging from the ceiling interested Stalker so much that he jumped up and down trying to catch them. Laura noticed model of SSV Normandy, Destiny Ascension and Harbringer. There was also the Geth Dreadnought, Razor Crest, Imperial Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon and X-wing starfighter.