Chapter 60: The Awakening.

Berlin year 2011.
Lemon-Lime.

Laura got back to her room, locked the door and lay down on a round bed, diving into purple satin sheets. She looked at the grey ceiling and the round lamps built into it. Closing her eyes, she breathed deeply. Anger slowly subsided, allowing reason to take over. Joe must have had some reason for such a harsh reaction, and instead of asking she exploded with anger. She wants so much to be an adult, and she acts like a child at the stupidest things. She rolled over on her side. The pillow smelled of Joe, it was soaked with memories. A few days ago they lay here together, laughing and hugging. Now the room was depressingly empty. She spent a long time putting together in her mind what she should say. She built up the entire conversation including what Joe would answer her. In the end, she found the planning pointless because every scenario was just a fantasy and conjecture.

***

Standing outside the door of Joe's room, she hesitated for a long time to knock. When she gathered enough courage she was answered by silence. It seemed that he wasn't in the room or didn't want to see her. Her innate pessimism told her to choose the worse possibility, but she still wanted to check all the places where Joe could be. She looked everywhere, even in the VIP rooms, but he disappeared without a trace, same as Toby. Resigned, she sat at the bar waiting for Alexios to return. Lemon-Lime didn't have many visitors today, but on some Fridays, the place used to be almost empty so no one was surprised. Moments later, four people entered the club, two girls and two guys, followed shortly after by two more. Alex almost materialized behind the bar as if knowing when someone would come in. He smiled kindly and took the order.

"How did you know the customers were coming?" Laura asked, wrinkling her brow.
"A reservation for the evening," he replied, getting down to preparing the drinks.
"Where are Toby and Joe?" she asked another question.

Alex bit his lip clearly hesitating on what to say. "Toby left early and Joe went for a walk," he replied hoping the girl would accept such an answer and not pursue the subject further.

"I'll take it," she offered to help when he finished mixing the drinks.
"Go rest I'll take care of it," he said.
"I won't be able to concentrate on anything anyway. Which room?"
„VIP 1," the bartender replied.

The girl took the tray before Alex could stop her. Joe will kill him if he finds out he let her go there.

***

Laura entered the VIP room where four people were sitting. They were all smoking marijuana and having a very good time. Her attention was caught by a tall, well-built man. The sides of his head were shaved, and the black hair on top was pinned back in a short ponytail. His penetrating grey gaze met her gaze. She would have almost dropped the tray had the stranger not stood up and helped her. He was wearing a dark red shirt with two buttons undone at the neck, black jeans and sports shoes.

"Let me help," he said, smiling kindly.

Laura handed out drinks and asked if she could serve anything else, to which everyone gave a negative answer so she nodded and headed for the door.

"Damien, when will you take us to the yacht?" one of the girls asked.
"Maybe next weekend?" suggested the grey-eyed man.

Damien, she repeated in her mind and left. She didn't hear everyone laughing at her "Can I serve you something?" giving the words a sexual context. Laura returned to the bar where she picked up another order. This time for a pair of lovers occupying the second VIP room. She wanted to serve some more new guests, but Alex's firm insistence forced her to go back to the room. Accentuating dissatisfaction with a loud sigh, Laura headed back to her place. She lay down on her bed and returned to pondering and staring at the ceiling. Only a noise coming from the hallway managed to tear her away from this passionate pastime. With great reluctance, she looked outside and could have sworn she saw Joe lying on a stretcher. Toby pulled her by the hand, saying something to her, but she couldn't focus. The words merged into one long cluster of sounds. She followed him completely unaware of what was happening.