33

After my shower, I get dressed in sweatpants and a tie-dye t-shirt that's too childish for high school. I brushed my hair and left it draping down my back wet. My stomach wasn't growling but I felt the need for food, which I figured was stress-eating. I didn't feel like this often, but with everything going on I think I deserve to snack until I'm sick. As I leave my room I enter the hallway, and just as I exit the hallway I turn a corner to see two figures sitting on the couch.
      Dad and Dalia sit next to each other, Dad's left arm is around Dalia's shoulder, whose head lays on Dad's left shoulder, and finally Dad lays his head against hers. The TV is on, but I can tell that they aren't paying any attention to the show turned on. I didn't want to hide behind the corner, seeing as I was stalking, but Dalia looked up at Dad, moving closer to him.
      "How did you do it?" she asks. Dad looks down at her, his left arm wrapping around hers.
      "Do what?"
      "Raise a daughter in the midst of chaos, all on your own," Dalia sat up, wanting to look Dad in the eyes.
Dad chuckled, "I didn't do it alone, I have friends—super close friends. Actually, we used to spend Christmas time down at Kerry's Godfather's apartment." Dalia smiled up at him, snuggling closer.
      "That sounds so nice. I've never seen New York at Christmas Time, I only transferred here this April."
      "It really is," Dad replies, wrapping his arm around her neck so she can hold his hand. "You should spend Christmas with us," Dalia smiles up at Dad again, leaning closer into him.
      "You really think New York is the calmest place?" Dalia asks.
Dad shrugs and chuckles, "I've always wanted to go back to Ohio, it's where I'm originally from, but we've got family here that I couldn't tear Kerry away from." Dalia nodded, squeezing Dad's hand. I felt awkward for watching, but something put me on edge seeing Dad so calm. I didn't understand why I was waiting for him to explode.
      I began to turn around, slowly making my way back to the hallway, but the floorboard under my foot creaked and echoed throughout the room. Suddenly, everything went quiet until I heard Dad call my name. I walked out into the family room, waving to Dad and Dalia. Dad raised an eyebrow at me, though a smile was on his face. Dalia moved off of Dad's shoulder, let go of his hand and smiled back at me. In a matter of awkwardness and embarrassment I nervously giggle, "Did I hear you guys say you were going out?"
My question makes both their eyes widen. Dalia smiles and laughs, and so does Dad, but he gives me a look with his eyes.
"We were talking about Christmas," Dalia nods.
I laugh, "I love Christmas. I like it when everything is covered in decorations. The songs can get tiring." I watch as Dad chuckles, erasing the look off his face.
"I used to sing Christmas songs when you were a baby because it was the only thing to get you to sleep." he says shyly.
Dalia and I giggle, and since the mood is jubilant I retreat back to my statement. "You guys should go out. I don't think the night at the lab counted as a date." Dad and Dalia laugh, but Dad narrows his eyes.
"Are you saying that so you can sneak out of the apartment?" he asks. My jaw drops as I shake my head.
"I can't even leave the apartment to get the mail, where could I possibly go?" I jokingly ask.
Dad's smile fades a little as he raises an eyebrow once more. I ignore his look and the way his eyes try to connect with mine as I look at my feet.
"You know what?" Dalia says, scooting closer to a Dad again, "I think going out would be so much fun. How about this Friday?" Dad looks at Dalia, then back to me, and finally back at Dalia.
"Yeah. . .yeah, that sounds fun." Dad smiles, though I can hear a little bit of doubt in his voice. Dalia smiles as she looks to me.
"Will you be alright being here by yourself? We don't want to leave you all alone all night." she says. I hug my arms and inhale sharply with a forced smile.
"I'll be fine," I tell her with a shrug. "I've done it before." I see Dalia nod with a small smile, but Dad stares. Luckily Dalia doesn't see, but she may sense the quiet tension. If Dad thought that was a snarky comment towards him, I didn't mean it to sound like that.
I swallow my pride and force a smile as I wander off into the kitchen. Pretending to look through the fridge, I couldn't help but feel a pair of eyes on me. If I wanted to make a scene I could've, but then Dalia would be uncomfortable. A relationship could either help Dad or destroy him, and I'm not sure ours is helping.

*******************************************************************************************************

Hm, this last part seemed to falter, but I'm satisfied!
Thanks guys ✌️