34

I was more excited than Dad was about his date tonight. He never went out with anyone when I was younger, I don't think he had time for it. I recall my uncle joking about it with Dad at family events, especially during New Years cheering, "It's the year of Bruce!" Dad was always so kind when taking the joke, and as much as he loves my uncle I could tell wanted to hang him by a line.
      Entering the kitchen, I see Dad rolling up the sleeves of a dark blue buttoned down shirt that's tucked into black pants.
      "Hey!" I smile wide, "You look nice!"
      "Let's hope her favorite color is blue," Dad chuckles.
      "She's not going to care about how you look," I tell him, approaching the fridge.
      "It's our first date, I at least want to look presentable," Dad retorts, grabbing his jacket, "Do these colors match?" His jacket was brown, the same one he's been wearing everyday of his life.
      I shook my head. "Do you have one in black?" Dad but his bottom lip in thought.
      "I don't know, maybe. . .why can't I wear this one?" he asks.
      "Because its a light brown and putting that with your shirt and pants would look. . .crazy. You already have a dark theme, you can't add a lighter color—"
      "Dark theme?" Dad asks, grabbing his shirt, "I don't want it to look like I'm a negative person—" Dad catches me with the exhausted look on my face.
      "Okay—" Dad is cut off by a knock at the door. "What time is it?"
      "Six o'clock," I answer.
      "That's Dalia!" Dad whispers frantically.
      "Okay! Go find a dark jacket, I'll keep her here." I giggle. I watch as Dad walks out of the family room and disappears into the hallway. Opening the front door, I'm greeted by a smiling Dalia.
      Her long brown hair is curled and settled upon her shoulders that are covered by a long white sweater. Over that is a black North Face jacket and covering her bottom half are bright blue denim jeans with black flats.
      "You look so cute!" I gasp as she walks in. Dalia giggles as she hugs me tightly.
      "Thank you," she smiles letting go of the hug. Looking around the room she asks, "Where's your father?"
      I gesture to the hallway behind me, "He's looking for a jacket. If he starts talking about how he looks, stop him, he doesn't know what he's talking about." Dalia laughs and jokingly nods.
      "Would you like something to drink? We have water and. . .fridge water, and tap water," I hear Dalia laugh behind me.
      "I'm good, but thanks." she replies. "Are you going to be fine here? Would you like to come with us?" I shake my head and wave my hand, awkwardly giggling.
      "I'm going to be so fine staying here! I got homework to do and I've been wanting to reread some of my books."
      Dalia smiles with a small nod. Dad reappears from the hallway wearing a black jacket while tossing his hair. When he sees Dalia, he moves his hand away from his head and smiles wide.
      "Hey," he greets, approaching her.
      "Hello," Dalia giggles as she throws her arms around him. When they pull away, Dad keeps his hands on her elbows, taking in her outfit.
      "Wow," Dad smiles, "You look great!" Dalia takes his hands in hers as her cheeks blush a faint pink.
      "Thank you so much," she smiles while taking in Dad's outfit. "Blue's my favorite color!" Dad looks over at me, and shrugs with a confident nod.
      "Where are you two going?" I ask. Dalia looks at Dad, who shrugs in response.
      "I'm good wherever." Dad smiles. Dalia nods in agreement as a knock comes from the door. Surprised and confused as I was I answered the door, but when I saw Jax on the other side I was more than bewildered.
      "Uh, hey—" my feet were swept up from under the floor as Jax grabbed me by my waist, throwing me over my shoulder. "Jax!"
      "Hello, Banner Residents!" Levi calls out from the doorway.
      "Hey, Miss Reins!" Jax greets.
I can hear Dalia laugh loudly behind me as she greets Jax.
"Mr. Banner, where can we find Kerry's coat?" Levi asks.
"Right here," Dad says as the sound of fabric is tossed across the room.
"Jax, put me down!" I start kicking my legs, "What's going on?"
"Bye, Mr. Banner!" Levi calls out.
"Bye, Bruce," Jax says as he turns around back to the door.
Parting my hair out of my face, I look up to see Dad and Dalia laughing and waving goodbye.
"Help me!" I laugh, reaching my short arms out. Levi jokingly high-fives me as Jax begins to walk out the door. As Jax passes the doorframe, I reach out and hold onto it, but Levi easily removes my hands off the wood. Jax doesn't put me down until we were in the elevator so I could put my coat on, but upon hitting the first floor Jax sweeps me off my feet one last time as runs out of the building with Levi.
"What on earth are you guys doing?" I laugh until I am on my feet once and for all.
Jax took me by the wrist as we begin to walk. "We are going to have the funnest night ever!"
"So much fun!" Levi cheers. "Funner than staying at home all night!"
"'Funner' isn't a word, and I would be having the same amount of fun reading Harry Potter," I say.
"That's not what Bruce thought," Jax chuckles.
"Dad put you up to this?"
"You realize it now? Did you see how badly he wanted you out of the house?" Levi jokes.
I roll my eyes but smile and shake my head. "Whatever. So, where will this super fun night take us first?"