38

The rest of the week was extremely awkward for Jax and I. We went to our usual classes, had lunch and parted ways, but there was tension. I couldn't stop thinking, Jax and I are going on a date. It was so weird hearing Jax and date in the same sentence. Levi didn't seem to notice the tension, he was the only one talking at the table, but he liked the attention.
Dalia was overjoyed when I told her Jax asked me out.
"You're going on a date!" she had cried.
"Yeah, I'm nervous though, I can't tell if I like him," I had said.
"You'll have so much fun! I know you will! He's so handsome, and your dad already likes him!"
"Yeah, but what do I do? What do I wear?"
And so we counted up the plan to go out to the outlets and shop for an outfit.
"Hey," Jax quietly said as we walked through the hallway. School was over, and the three of us were walking to the main doors. "I'm really excited, thanks for agreeing to go,"
      I smile small, showing my pizza lunch stained-teeth. "No problem. I'm really excited."
      We walked out the front doors into the chilly October air.
      "Hey hey hey—" Levi was rapidly hitting Jax's arm. "Isn't that the sub?" I knew exactly where he was looking, because it was where Dalia said she'd pick me up. "I'm scared she's going to roast me,"
"That reminds me, I gotta go," I tell the boys.
Levi raises his eyebrows, "The sub makes you remember that?"
"Bye!"
I jogged on over to Dalia and her silver car, where she greeted me with a big smile.
"Hey Kerry!. . .and friends,"
I turn around to see Jax and Levi approaching far behind me.
      "Hey Miss Reins!" Levi calls out.
"Let's go," I say hastily as I throw my book bag in the back seat and run around to the passenger's side.
Dalia gets in on her side, and as she reversed the car and pulls out of the parking space, I catch Jax with a confused smile as he looks between me and Dalia.
Rolling down the window, I call out, "I'll explain later!"
Levi laughs as Jax has a baffled expression and a crooked smile.
Pulling out of the school, Dalia turns to me, face blank. "Do they know?"
I stare at her. "Know what? — oh! No, they don't know about that, or that you're dating Dad." Dalia nods as she looks back out to the road.
I don't say it, but I fear that the boys are soon going to see the mess I got myself into.

*************

"Let's get some makeup, my treat," Dalia smiles.
I shake my head, "Oh no no no, please, I don't know how to use that stuff."
"We're not going to buy a ton, just mascara and maybe some lipgloss, and if we see something that looks good on you." Dalia explains as she opens a door to a makeup store. "Come on, it'll be fun!"
"If caking your face with chemicals is considered fun—"
"You talk just like your father, get in there, Bruce," Dalia jokes as I walk into the store.

"This color looks great!" Dalia exclaims showing me a pastel pink lipstick color.
"It looks crusty," I laugh.
"Your opinions are crusty," Dalia retorts.
I laugh, "I don't know if I want lipstick, my lips get super chapped and it'll be on my teeth if I apply too much. What if I'm eating and it gets on my food so then I'll have to eat the stale chemicals off my chicken wings?"
"You guys are getting chicken wings?"
"I don't know yet, but I'm getting hungry now."
Dalia laughs as she looks through her purse, until finally pulling out red labeled chapstick.
"This is strawberry, it'll help with your dry lips and won't hurt your food." She hands me it and I laugh, pocketing it.

I told Dalia I didn't really want new clothes because it was getting cold and I wanted to wear jeans, and that I could wear a cute sports hoodie.
"You are not wearing a hoodie," she snaps.
"But Dad's Giants hoodie is a nice dark grey, and I thought it'd accompany my blue jeans. I was thinking of wearing Jax's Yankees hoodie because it's white, although I don't really like the Yankees and I can't find my Dodgers—"
      "He gave you his hoodie?" Dalia excitingly asks.
      I nod.
      "Wear that! He'll love it!"
      I hadn't been wearing my beanie, and I'm not a fashionista, so I asked, "Should I wear a hat or something warm to cover my ears?"
      "Shouldn't be that cold," Dalia replies. "And it'd mess up your hair. Speaking of which, ever tried to part your hair? I think it'd look really nice on you!"
      "So no on that hat?" I ask.
      "You like wearing that thing?" She asks, "I think you'd look better without it, and giving your hair a part would make your hair look so much neater. Since your hair is long it'd look even longer,"
      "I just want to wear something with sentimental value. . .people do that," I say.
      "You don't have something you love?" Dalia asks.
      "I do. . .it's the hat."
      "The grey one you wear?"
      I nod.
      "I always thought you were a hipster when you wore that," she says, "or that you were always cold." I'm a little shocked at how she told me that to my face.
      "If I can be honest, you look really cute without it, and with the part in your hair you'll look adorable! I understand, we all have things to hold on to, but we've got to let go. I have a necklace that reminds me of my mother."
      "The hat was my mother's." I say. I didn't say it to make Dalia feel bad, I wanted to show her it was the only thing I had. Although, as I think about it, I never knew my mom.
      So why does this ugly hat matter to you?
      "You're right," I say, "I need to start looking like a girl, so this is a great start."
      "No no," Dalia waves her hand. "I didn't know the hat—"
      "I don't know why I held onto it, I don't know my mom, and I don't care. I do however, have this," I show her my left wrist with the bracelet I bought with Dad at the kiosk in the park. She admired it with a big smile.
      "That's great. I'm sorry,"
      "You don't have to apologize, I feel the need for change," I smile.

*******************************************************************************************************

Oof editing takes a looong time especially if you're me and wrote 70 chapters why did I do that ugh I wanna scold 6th grade me 😂😂

second edit: is that not the cutest gif oml I love Mandy Moore :)