7

I was walking out of school that day talking about what went down in Science to Levi. "... And then she made me stand in front of the class, to explain why Gamma is the strongest. Because of today, I think I'm her annoying 'Know-It-All' student, which I don't want to be 'cause Know-It-All kids are annoying — "

"You are annoying!" Levi exclaimed.
I scoffed. "I'm the annoying one?"
Levi looked at me, "Ouch."
"You gotta hand it to her, she roasted Mrs. Laster." Jax chuckled.
"Must've since a student taught the class." Levi smiled. While Levi and Jax were still talking about Science, a thought from earlier came to mind.

What would happen if I did visit Dad at work? I don't want to be a burden while he's working. Would he be happy to see me? Or has he totally forgotten about me?
Don't say that.
Dad is just piled up in his work. He works at a fancy Science Research Lab not too far from home. Funny, he's worked there since I was eleven, and I've never asked him what he was doing research on.

"Kerry," I feel a hand on my shoulder. I see Jax with his hand on my left shoulder, which then holds my arm lightly. "Isn't that your dad?" He asks, looking forwards.
WHAT?! WHERE?! WHEN?! WHERE?!
My head turns everywhere, looking for my father. The three of us were standing on the sidewalk where school had no property. In a parking lot on the opposite side of the road, I saw the black car that looked like an old car and modern put together. The fancy black car that as a kid, used to sleep longways in the back on long car trips. The same car that also as a kid, would lean the passenger chair back, and pretend to fall asleep just so Dad could play with my hair.

Speak of the devil, the same man who played with my hair, and calmed my fear of lighting was leaning against the hood.
Dad.
That man is Dad.
That man is my Dad.

Taking one step into the road, Jax wraps his arms around me from behind, saving me from the car that speeds passed us. I could've died. Without looking I was going to cross the street, and die in front of friends and family.
I look at Dad, to show him I'm alright. Dad gets off the hood, and starts walking towards us. Jax was still holding onto me, but he held my arm. Leading me across the street and to the parking lot, I bolt to Dad.

I'm going to hug my Dad, in weeks or days, I'm going to hug him. Throwing my arms around him, his arms around me feels like he's protecting me from bombs, and missiles coming from the sky. Or another car.

"Oh my God are you ok?!" He asked, looking at me and feeling my arms. I look up at him, happy to know he wants to know how I feel.
"Yeah, I'm okay, I-I just wasn't looking and thinking — well I was thinking but not paying attention — " I shake my head and hug Dad again. "I'm fine." I can hear his heart beat, as it starts to slow down.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Dad asked as we pulled apart from the hug.
I nodded. "Yeah, I was... I'm just so happy to see you." Dad smiles at me, as he leads me to the car.
"Wait!" I exclaim. Dad looked at me, and I stood in front of him, and ruffled his hair, having the curls to pop out. He then looked like a hobo with a sweet car. Dad smiled at me, but was confused. "I had to!" I laugh.

Jax and Levi were watching us as their cars pulled up. "Be careful with her Mr. Banner." Jax called out, getting in his car.
"Make sure she doesn't get hit by another vehicle!" Levi called out, as his mom parked the car. I rolled my eyes, and Dad laughed getting in the car. How long has it been since I've rode in this car? The smell of the leather seats bring back memories as I strap myself in. What would happen if I leaned the seat back, and pretended to fall asleep?

"Kerry," Dad said.
"Yeah? What? Who?" I ask, looking over at him.
Dad laughs. "Did you hear a word I just said?"
"To be honest, no," I reply. Dad laughed again.
"I asked how Jax and Levi are doing." He says. That makes me wonder, when was the last time he saw them? We don't usually hang out in my apartment.
"They're cool. Jax is fine, but Levi I'm afraid is gonna end up in places, not college, but places." I tell Dad.

Dad laughed. His smile was so... Fun. I loved seeing him smile, and knowing that I can make him laugh. Not wanting this convo to end in an awkward silence, I keep it going. "Sooooo how's work?"
"Long," Dad replied.
"I bet, but are you close to cracking your case...? Or what it is?" I asked. Dad thought about that.
"Well, that's the thing, I don't know." He answered.
"Yet," I told him.
"What?" He smiled.
"You don't know, yet," I say. Dad smiled at me. Even though the next question I was going to ask made me sad, I asked him anyway. "Are you going back to work after this?"
"I'm not going back." Dad replies. I cringe, and raise an eyebrow. Then it hits me: he finally stopped working, for me.

Not wanting to make it obvious I ask, "Did you get... Fired?"
"No," Dad replies, trying to hold back laughter. "They gave me a week off."
I was hoping he'd tell me he retired, or quit, but a week off seemed better. "Ohhh..." I nod. Dad chuckles. "So, what are you doing research on again?"

"Well," he began, "There's this serum that I test, and I need to see if it is able to heal people in a faster time." I nod in understanding. It fascinates me, wanting to hear more about it.
"What happens after it's in your bloodstream?" I ask. "Are you like a superhero?"
Dad thought about this. "Well," He said, "You could call it a Super Soldier." I nod. If I wasn't stuck in high school, I'd like to experiment the serum with Dad. And being a Super Soldier sounds pretty cool. I ask myself, if I knew anyone who'd be a good Super Soldier. Then I ask myself if I do know one.

Probably not.

************************************************************************************************************

Steve Rogers reference there 😏 

This is probably my favorite chapter so far that I've edited.

✌🏻️