39

"HE'S WHAT?" Levi yells from the lunch table. I laugh with Jax, who almost spits out his milk. I just told them both that Dad and Dalia were an item.
      "Now I feel awkward telling you that she was hot!"
      "That was before they dated!" I laugh.
      "Okay, so to get a girl I gotta be a scientist," Levi says, as if making it a goal.
      "You've gotta be smart for that, Levi," Jax chuckles. He turns to me and smiles, "Good for him, they seem cute."
      "I think they are. He really likes her," I smile.
      "What kind of work does Bruce do? I'm asking for a friend," Levi jokes as he bites a baby carrot.
      "I'm amazed you guys have never seen her," I shrug, "She lives in our building,"
      "SHE WHAT NOW?" Levi screams, having eyes to look over at our table and laugh. "Oh my God! You never tell me anything! We're best friends!"
      I laugh and shake my head along with Jax.
"Oh well. You guys free tonight?"
Jax and I grow silent as we both look at each other, then immediately look away.
"Oh yeah! You guys have your date tonight!"
I wasn't embarrassed until now, and it felt awkward sitting next to Jax and seeing him. It felt like it was a wedding; the bride and groom couldn't see each other the day of the wedding. I then pursed my lips and cursed under my breath as I compared our first date to marriage.

*************

"Are you and Dalia going out tonight?" I ask Dad as I open the fridge.
"Uh, I don't know. Do you want me to?" Dad asks.
"Well it'd be nice for you to get out of the house," I say.
"I'm your father, why are you sassing me?" Dad laughs. I giggle as I pull out a hot pocket and place it on a plate and put it in the microwave.
"Hey, Dad," I say, "you had to ask out Mom right? I mean, obviously you had to."
"Yeah, I had to ask her out." he smiles.
"When was that?"
"College," Dad replies.
"Dang, I didn't think you guys could date back in 1845." I laugh. Dad rolls his eyes and gives a dry laugh.
      "Shouldn't you be getting ready for your date with lover boy?"
      "Never call Jax that again, please. I'm not even sure this date is going to work out." I mumble.
      "You really think that?" Dad asks.
      "I don't know! I've never been on a date before!"
      "I thought it was pretty clear that he already liked you," Dad shrugs.
      "Whatever. I'm going to get ready."
I walk to my room, knowing I want to wear Jax's Yankees hoodie, and picked out a pair of blue jeans. I liked rolling the bottoms, and I needed to because them not rolled looks awkward in my high tops. It was said to be a little chilly, so underneath the hoodie I was going to wear a white tank top.
      Taking Dalia's advice, I brush my hair while searching a video on how to part my hair. Once I got the hang of it, I kept switching the part from my left and right side because I didn't know what looked better on me. My hair felt so weird and heavy too. I decided that I could wear the part either way, but tonight it would be on the right side of my head, so the uneven amount of hair was tucked behind my left ear.
      It didn't look bad, Dalia was right. My face didn't look so chubby anymore, and my hair looked neater. I could see more of my face, like my temples—I liked my face better this way. A few very small baby hairs poked from the thicker side of the part, and then one awkward short strand fell onto my forehead. It looked like I had side bangs, but it didn't look good on me. But I waited before putting it back into place. I looked even more different, like no one I had ever met before.
      I stood up and looked at my whole body in the mirror. Something in my chest exploded, and my mind was going hundred miles per hour. This is it, I thought, you finally look and feel normal. No monster here.
      My phone went off, and I noticed Jax's name on the screen. I realized it was close to the date, and he was asking if I was hungry. Quickly, I grabbed Jax's hoodie and my phone and ran out of my room.
      Dad turned his head once he saw me. I notice his brown eyes widen at my appearance.
      "You look nice," he says, standing up from the couch.
      "Thanks—I gotta go—Jax—downstairs—money, I need money—he wants to get food—"
      "Babe," Dad laughs, walking over to me in the kitchen. "Calm down, you're going to have fun tonight, I guarantee it," he sticks his hand in his pocket and gives me two twenty's. "He's a good kid, promise me you'll have fun,"

*************

The elevators part, and the first thing I see is Jax at the front doors of our apartment building. He smiles and waves at me, and I do the same back. Suddenly, I notice his other hand, which holds a picnic basket. My chest began to tighten, and my mind imm-ediately told me to run back up to the apartment.
"Promise me you'll have fun," I heard Dad's voice in my mind.
I exit the elevators and meet Jax at the door.
"Did you do something with your hair?" He asks, staring at my head.
I laugh and nod, "Yeah, I don't have it awkwardly parted down the middle anymore."
He nods with the same smile, "You look really nice,"
"Thank you, so do you," Okay, here we go.

************************************************************************************************************

consider this finally edited ;)