51

I groan as I lean into the back of my seat.
      "Can you tell them to lower their guns, I swear I'm not dangerous," I say.
      "You may not be dangerous, but you're strong," Phil says from the opposite side of the van. There's silence except for the sound of bumps in the road and traffic before I ask.
      "You can just do this?" I ask.
      "Do what?"
      "Take me away from my dad, call a plane and send me out of New York?"
      Phil purses his lips and sadly nods. "Yes. It's not ideal but it's what orders call for. Director Fury is suspicious of you,"
      "Who's Director Fury and why is he suspicious of me?" I ask.
      "He's my boss, the head of shield." Phil explains.
      "Shield?"
      "Yeah, Shield—Strategic Homeland Enforcement and Logistics Division." Phil says.
"So why are you after 'people like me?' Why aren't you called something like Superpower People Investigation?" I ask.
Phil laughs, "Like I said, we take care of people like you and your father—"
"There's nothing special about me!" I snap. "I don't turn into a green monster! I just found out who I am now! Sure, bullet immunity is a power but nothing serious!"
"You shook an adult and threw him across the ground, that's super strength!" Phil exclaims.
"I'm just a kid!"
"Yes, and if someone wants your power they won't hesitate to do whatever it takes to find you. Your father would want you safe—"
"Safe with him," I snap.
Phil sighs and shakes his head, "I've known your father long enough to know that he knows it himself that he isn't safe. Your father is a kind, gentle man who wouldn't risk placing you in the face of danger. That's why he was gone all the time for work, right? His job had him and his coworkers sign in and out everyday. The records showed us how he goes in at almost five in the morning, and comes back home way after twelve. Some records didn't have a time out, we think some nights he stayed there.
"Yet, he still managed to find time to make sure food was in the fridge, and that you were doing okay. I think he wants to be a father but doesn't know how to be a true dad. I say that with respect, he's done a lot for you, I can tell."
I glare at Phil and shake my head. "He never came home because he was trying to find away to get rid of the Hulk. Dad was trying to study himself and the radiation that made him this way, just to be with me. He was gone all the time because his goal was to get rid of the Hulk and spend time with me! He cares about me, and that's what a true dad does! I knew that the food that magically appeared in the fridge was him because no matter what, Bruce Banner is the hardest working man ever! He put himself into his work for me!
"He doesn't want to hurt me, that's why he kept the Hulk a secret from me! It's people like you who put so much pressure on him, that it terrifies him! I bet you think he's a monster."
My throat was dry and scratchy, but I didn't care. Phil looked over at me, and he parted his lips like he wanted to say one last comeback. His lips pursed straight and never said another word. That was until the airport came into sight, and he told me to get out.

*********************************************************************************************************