19

For the whole school day I've been worrying over seeing Dad. What if he says he can't see me at the moment? Or that I can't see him? What if he's stressed and gets mad at me for coming?
Wait... What the hell am I talking about? That would never be Dad in a million years. He's shy, he likes to talk to himself, he's nervous — now would a man like that yell at someone?

      After the last bell rang, the boys and I walked out of school, and as I was mentally running over the directions, I heard Levi and Jax's conversation about his siblings.
      "... And I told Lacey about a hundred times that I'm not watching Dumbo again! And then Lola was protesting that we watch another movie! And Lana wanted to watch her own shows! And Harrison — !"
      "What's wrong with Harrison?" I asked. He is my favorite.
      "He was just watching everything!" Levi exclaims. Jax and I laughed, making Levi grumble and roll his eyes.
      I walked to the bike rack to where I found my red Diamondback bike. It's old and crappy, and I still ride it because I don't have a car until another two years.
      "What are you doing?" Levi asks, staring at the bike.
      "Stealing my own bike," I tell him as I proceeded to put my index finger to my lips and shush him. Levi rolled his eyes at me through his sunglasses.
      "Why did you bring your bike?" Jax asked as I pulled my bike free and set it in position. "You could've asked me to take you home."

      "I'm not going home. I'm going to ride my bike to Dad's work, and — hopefully — surprise him." I say as I throw my leg over the other side of the bike.
      "Really?" Levi asks, a bit amazed.
      "Yep. Now if you could excuse me," I say, finally unlocking my bike. I threw the chain in my backpack, and set one foot on the pedal. "I've got to pray that I remember the way."
      "Alright, see ya, Banner." Jax says, stepping out of the way.
      "Bye!" I called out as I pedaled towards the exit of the property.
      I passed Garret Road which led me to a four-way crossroad. Then I turned left on a Darby Avenue and sped down the sidewalk. I made a right and went straight until I passed three lefts. It seems like forever but on the fourth left I finally turn, and the building's right there.

      I hop off my bike and chain it up at a bike rack near the edge of the sidewalk. After that, I walk towards the big glass doors, and enter the building.
      There's a secretary who's tapping away at a computer. I get nervous as I see how into the computer she is. Her old squinting eyes were glued on it, and her outfit choice was intimidating: a slick pantsuit with a handkerchief in the breast pocket. Her glasses were those 'cat eye' fifties ones, with a beaded leash to hand down her neck when off.
Compared to her, I look like a rugged teenager with a grey beanie, an old, sweaty Imagine Dragons shirt with jeans and a slick black North Face which smelled like what you think New York smelled like. Finally, the lady looks at me. A smile crossed her face, and she stood up straighter in her chair.
      "Hello," She says. "Can I help you?"

      "Uhm. . . I need to see someone," I say, "Or. . . May I see someone?" The secretary laughs, which makes me laugh.
      "A short visit?" She asks, seeing how young I was knowing I wanted to see my parent. I nod. The lady picks up a piece of paper from her desk. It was a schedule for the scientists during the month. "Who are you visiting today?"
      "Bruce Banner," I answer.
The lady takes a second to look at me. "Are you family?"
      "Yes, I'm his daughter," I smile. Her old brown eyes grew wide with surprise. She took off her glasses, looked at me up and down, and put them back on.
      "I had no idea Bruce had a daughter," She said, "I'm so sorry."
      "It's fine! Am I able to see him?" I ask, secretly crossing my fingers.
      "Of course!" The secretary smiled, picking up a clipboard. "Could you just sign in here?" I nodded and took the clipboard and the pen attached to it. As I wrote down my name and the time I arrived, she said, "You look like him so much! I should've known!"