35

"You were chased in Brazil?"
"Yep." Bruce chuckled, "I was younger then, I moved pretty fast."
"Oh my God!" Dalia laughed, covering her mouth.
"I'm sure lost a few pounds—granted I was always a twig." Bruce shrugged with a smile.
Dalia laughed. It was the best quality she had.
"You are just like Kerry!" she exclaimed. Bruce chuckled, scratching his scruff bashfully.
"She's like a little girly you!" Dalia smiled. Bruce chuckled once more. He took a sip of beer from his glass.
"I'm guessing you don't drink much?" Dalia asked, "I mean, that's good, in all aspects but. . .because. . ." she nervously smiled. Bruce laughed, patting her hand, which Dalia then made them hold together.
"Hey," Dalia said. As Bruce stared at her, Dalia shook her head, waving her other hand. "Never mind."
"No, what was your question?" Bruce asked. Dalia was looking at the ground, the words caught in her throat, but then she looked into Bruce's eyes.
"I just want you to know, I'm asking because I'm curious, that's all!" she said with wide eyes. She moved closer to Bruce's chair, and leaned in a little. Bruce did the same, a small smile on his face.
"Who's Kerry's mother?" Dalia asked. Bruce felt his heart drop down to his stomach, and suddenly he didn't want to be on the date.
"What was she like?" Dalia asked.
Bruce has a full on movie he could paint for Dalia. All the losses he had with Betty, all the small wins, the lonely nights where he thought of her. He realized he probably used work to hide all their history, something that filled his priority more than her. Well, her and Kerry.
Bruce squeezes Dalia's hand, looking down at the ring he still wore on his finger. It wasn't even a wedding ring, and it hadn't been a promise ring for years.
He took a shaky breath, "I met her in college, in the same classes, and she was different from everybody—anybody I ever knew. She has this spark, charisma that seemed to spread around, when she was happy everyone was. She was the first girl that I ever built the courage up to say a simple hello to. We became super close and I finally asked her out. Years after college we began working at the same lab, which led to the accident, and I ran. I was running all over the world, then I came back— there's a whole other story there—but we met up again years later again, and later had Kerry."
      Oh no. he thought. It's happening.
      Bruce's memories flashing in front of his eyes. If there was one thing Hulk and Bruce agreed on, was that they deeply missed Betty, so, so much. It was true that Bruce had too much work and the feelings would vanish, but there'd be one dream that sends him back years, making certain feelings rise. Rarely he'd dream of being back in college and meeting her for the first time, others was the day of the accident.
      "What happened to her?" Dalia asked, her other hand now on his arm.
      Bruce shook his head, forcing a chuckled scoff, "I don't know."
      There was a silence between them. Dalia cleared her throat and shifted in her bar seat.
      "Since you were so brave enough to tell me all that, I guess I can tell you my demons," Dalia's brown eyes looked down at the ground.
      "I am the youngest of three siblings, I was beaten by all of them—lovingly though, but my dad was an alcoholic and my mother was a stressed out nut job. One night my parents were heading out. . .from the bar, and my dad was driving. . ." Dalia explained.
Bruce looked at her with a frown. He felt the pain she had. He's had pain forever, and he knows it will never go away.
Bruce squeezed Dalia's hand as a small smile crossed his face.
"I know how you feel, my mom was the only one who loved me. My dad, wanted something more. . .and something to beat." Bruce whispered. Dalia gave him a small sad smile.
"So, in a way we're both very similar." Dalia said.
"Yeah," Bruce said with a nervous chuckle.
Dalia still had Bruce's hand over hers. So, with her left hand, took out a $20 from her pocket and laid it on the table. Then, she tighten her grip on Bruce's hand and walked out of the bar with him.
Bruce didn't ask any question, only smiled as Dalia led him to a street corner, waiting to use the crosswalk. She took both of Bruce's hands in hers, and stood on her top toes to kiss him. When she pulled away they were both giggling and smiling.

********************* ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

Ooh love this new edit