Raoul Duke #1

Warning: Use of drugs

So, here's the tea:

It's like thirty degrees outside and I'm in the middle of fucking nowhere, where my car has just broken down.
I'm not a mechanic, but I've opened up the hood and it looks like the engine is busted.

*Sigh*

All I'm trying to do is go to Las Vegas. Is that too much to ask?

I don't know who is mad enough to come out in this heat, except me, but I really hope a car comes by soon because I need to get to my destination asap.

***

I've now been waiting fifteen minutes and still, no one has come by.

Ugh.

Looks like I'll be here for a while, or in the worst-case scenario, all day.

Wait.

Hang on.

No.

There's a small dot on the horizon moving towards me.

Ok, it's becoming clearer.

Yes. Yes!

It's a car!

Finally!

Picking up my bag and swinging it over my shoulder, I jumped forward and started waving my arms like a mad thing, trying to get the car to stop.

"Hey!" I yelled as the car got nearer.

"Phew," I was relieved that the car had stopped for me.

The car that had stopped was a crimson coloured sports car. There were also two men in the car. Both of whom were smoking cigarettes.

The driver was wearing dark sunglasses and a red button-up Hawaiian shirt that was patterned with blue and yellow flowers. His shirt was fully open, so it wasn't hard to miss his fairly large stomach, which was hanging over the waistband of his stripy shorts. He also had shoulder-length brown hair and a moustache.

The man next to him, however, was wearing transparent yellow sunglasses, a beige coloured hat and a brown button-up Hawaiian shirt that was patterned with just yellow flowers. He was also bald and had no facial hair present.
Well, there were faint hairs on his upper and lower lip and chin where a moustache, goatee and beard seemed to be forming.

"Hi, are you going to Las Vegas?" I asked hopefully, crossing my fingers behind my back.

"Sure are." Said the open-shirt man. "You need a lift?"

"Yeah. My car's engine is busted, so..."

"Don't worry about that, just hop on in and we'll get you there in a jiffy."

"Thank you,"

"Watch out for the bats," Warned the bald man next to him, white powder on his face. "They're every where." He shuddered.

I looked around, I couldn't see any bats, or anything for that matter.

I wasn't sure if he was on drugs or something, but if he was, that shit must be pretty strong to make him see bats.

Hesitantly, I climbed into the back seat where a large briefcase lay.
I hadn't even sat down when the car was put into action. I was thrown back so hard that I almost tipped out of the car.

"I'm Raoul Duke," Introduced the bald man, climbing out of his seat and into the back, where he fell onto his face. I was surprised his sunglasses hadn't broken with all that impact. "And this is my attorney Dr Gonzo." He pointed at the moustached man driving.

"Hi,"

"And what is your name?"

"I'm - " I paused to look at Dr Gonzo, who was now driving with his feet, he seemed to be trying to reach something on the floor. "Y/N L/N. Erm - is that okay?" I pointed at Dr Gonzo.

"Eyes on the road man!" Raoul yelled, as we swerved in and out of the car lanes.

"Woah!" Exclaimed Dr Gonzo, turning the steering wheel sharply, narrowly avoiding colliding with a lorry.

"Anyway, Y/N," Raoul continued, his arm around my shoulder as we continued driving. "What do you do for a living and why are you heading to the fabulous city of Las Vegas?"

"I work part time at a bar, and I'm heading to Las Vegas for an interview about a promotion I'm recieving. What about y - "

"Do you hear that, Dr Gonzo?" Interrupted Raoul. "We've got someone who works with booze. Must be my lucky day."

"Yep. Have you got any?" Inquired Dr Gonzo, looking at me in the mirror.

"Any what?" I asked.

"Booze. Have you got any?"

"Of course not. I'm going for an interview, not a party."

The two men groaned.

"No matter," Said Raoul, seemingly trying to make light of the situation. "Can you open the briefcase and pass me a pot that has white powder in it?"

"Sure."

Upon opening the briefcase, I made a shocking discovery: the case was full to the brim with drugs. It was enough to fuel a heard of elephants for a whole month!

I picked up the pot that Raoul had described to me. The pot was fairly small and the label read: Cocaine - Is harmful in large doses.

I raised my eyebrows at the label. Any drugs or medicine is harmful if not taken properly/or prescribed be doctors or professionally medically licensed people.

"Is this it?"

"Yes. Thank you. Wait...stay very very still."

I stayed as still as stone, hoping that what ever Raoul was getting slightly anxious about would go away.

I watched nervously as Raoul withdrew a fly swatter and slowly leaned over, his eyes fixed on something. I couldn't see anything, so I assumed it was the drugs making him hallucinate.

"There!" He suddenly shrieked, starting to swat madly at the air.

"What?!"

"Bats! We're in bat country! Take that! And that!"

Ok, this was just ludicrous. I was going to go insane if I was sat here any longer.

Grabbing my bag, I swung myself around and jumped out the car, landing on my side.

Raoul made for my ankle, trying to pull me back into the car. "Y/N, where you going? I thought you wanted a lift to Las Vegas!" He shouted, getting out of the car, which was now at a stand still.

"I've changed my mind! I'm going home! Thanks for the ride!" I cried, getting up and starting to run in the opposite direction.

"What about your promotion?" He yelled, running after me, the fly swatter still in his hand.

"Never mind."

Why won't he leave me alone? I wondered. Isn't he trying to get to Las Vegas asap?

"Bats!!!" He then screeched, turning around and instantly bolting back towards the car. "A whole fleet of them! Quickly!" He panicked, continuing to swat at nothing, before jumping in the car and driving away quickly.

I watched the car disappear into the distance, before signalling another car (this time not being driven by two drug fuelled men) and going home.

***Hope you enjoyed this story. Should I do anymore Raoul Duke imagines?****