Glen Lantz #1: Part 1

***Imagine being new to Springfield High School.***

"Class dismissed." Said my Science teacher Miss Measurement - all the teachers at my school had weird last names - as the bell rang for lunch. "And don't forget to read and study chapter 7 for Friday's test!" She yelled as my class rushed out of the classroom and towards the cafeteria - at least that's where I assumed everyone was going.

I was typically slow at leaving the classroom, so when I got out and into the corridor I realised why I should have been quicker at leaving. The corridor was full to the brim and looked like you'd get squashed if you didn't get through fast enough. I stood outside the classroom panicked, there were so many people and so little space. I felt my heart pound fiercely as though it were trying to fight its way out of my chest. 'You can do this Y/N.' I thought to myself, even though my subconscious was screaming 'No you can't do this! Don't do it!' Ignoring my inner thoughts, I took a deep breath and pushed my fear of small spaces and crowds out of my mind. Bravely, I walked into the crowd and made my way to the cafeteria. I quickly, but cautiously weaved in and out of students, careful not tread on people's toes. Apart from being new, I was taller than the average high school student, so naturally, people stared. Oh god, how I hated a thousand or so pairs of eyes watching me as I attempted to get to my destination. "I'm in my happy place, I'm in my happy place," I mumbled quietly to myself. In fact, I mumbled so quietly that even I couldn't hear my own words, and that had nothing to do with how many people were around either.

When I finally got to the cafeteria I tried not to make eye contact with anyone. Picking up a tray, I moved in line and patiently waited to get my lunch. Just as I got to the front of the queue, two older girls, who were talking to each other, pushed in front of me as though I didn't even exist. I didn't say anything though, I didn't need to get into an argument on my first day.

"Thank you," I mumbled to the dinner lady after I'd paid for my lunch. 'Now where to sit?' I wondered, looking around. Most of the tables were full, but I saw a spare seat at a table of friendly-looking girls, so I went over to join them.

"Hi," I said all friendly to the group, starting to sit down.

"Um no, you can't sit here newbie." Said a girl with long ombre ash coloured hair, her hand on the seat to stop me from sitting down.

"Why not? Nobody's there."

The girls and a couple of people nearby sniggered. I tried my best not to look as embarrassed as I was feeling, even though I could already feel myself turning the colour of a tomato.

"It's taken." She stated, giving me a hard stare. If looks could kill...

Sighing, I walked away to find another table where I could sit down and eat.

"No way." Said a guy in a Nike baseball cap through a glass of water.

Ugh, that was the fifth table I'd tried to sit down at. Giving up, I went to sit down where no one would mind me being: right behind the trash cans.

Placing my tray on my lap, I opened the sandwich cardboard box up and started eating my sandwiches. As I sat eating, I gave myself a stern but motivating pep talk. My pep talk was so much sterner than motivating that I ended up hurting my own feelings, like, really bad.

"Hey," Called a voice some minutes later.

"It's ok, I'll go sit somewhere else, you don't have to tell me twice," I mumbled picking up my tray. I'd been told to hop it by numerous people today so I obviously knew the drill by now.

"Well, actually I wasn't even going to ask you once."

I looked up and saw a boy with thick brown hair coming towards me. "Can I sit next to you?"

I was stunned for a moment. Never in my entire life had I been approached by such a beautiful human being.

"Hello?" The boy waved his hand in front of my face, trying to get my attention. "Ground control calling."

I instantly snapped back to reality and looked at the boy properly. "Hi," Said the boy again. "What are you doing sitting here all by yourself?" He sat down and started eating his lunch.

"Eating," I replied, taking a bite out of my sandwich.

The brown-haired boy laughed, showing off his straight pearly white teeth. "I like you," He smiled. "You're funny."

"Thanks." I paused. "I'm Y/N." I held out my hand to shake.

"Cool, I'm Glen. So Y/N, I haven't seen you around before, are you new?"

"Yeah."

"Nice. So what do you like about Springfield High so far?"

"I don't know really. I think the classes and teachers are ok though."

"Same." Glen proceeded to take a large bite of his hot dog before continuing the conversation. "What was your last lesson before lunch? I had a gym." He let out a groan.

"Oh, I had Science with Miss Measurement. We have to study for a test on Friday." I groaned and put my head in my hands. "I hate Science," I muttered, blowing a piece of hair away which had fallen in front of my face. "I don't understand anything she talked about in class. I'm for sure going to flunk my test big time."

Glen smiled. "I could help you if you like. You know, study for your test."

I looked up and into his eyes. "Are you being serious right now? You'd really help me study?" I couldn't believe my luck. Somebody was actually offering to help me with my homework.

"Of course. You could come to mine, and I'll help you study for your upcoming test. We could hang out and get to know each other as well." Glen ducked as someone attempted to throw an empty mineral water bottle into the bin.

"I'd like that."

Drinnnggg!!!!

"That's the bell to signal the end of lunch," Glen told me, dumping the remains of his lunch. "We better get to class." He picked up his rucksack which was black and had a broken zip.

"Hey, do you know where the Art classroom is?"

"Yeah, it's upstairs and on your left and then -"

He stopped when he saw me staring blankly at him.

"I could just walk you there. If you want."

"You don't have to, you'll be late for your next class." I protested tying my hair back.

"I'm always late, so it doesn't really matter." Glen grinned. "Come on."

We walked out of the cafeteria and up the stairs to the Art classroom. I was a bit sad to see him go, but hey, we were going to hang out after school, so I guess I could wait another three hours.

***I hope you enjoyed this short story. I know it was probably poorly written, but I hope you enjoyed all the same.**********