Sweeney Todd #2

Sweeney's POV:

Today is my birthday. And if I'm quite honest with you, I don't like them. I mean, I don't see the point of birthdays. It's just another normal day with cake, cards and presents. Besides, it only reminds you that you're growing up and getting old.

The other reason I don't like my birthday is that no-one ever seems to remember. People seem to either forget or don't care. Maybe even both. It's awful to feel unappreciated and unwanted by everybody, especially when you don't even appreciate yourself. Cause trust me, I've been there so many times, maybe I still am.

Anyway, just as I was expecting, nobody remembered my birthday.
Mrs Lovett forgot, which was a slight suprise, especially since she hangs around me day in day out.
Even my girlfriend Y/N forgot, which needless to say, really broke my heart. Though, she is currently abroad in America, so it's really no surprise that she hasn't written to me.
I miss her so much. Her shiny H/L H/C hair. Her soft fruity laugh and smile. Her lavender scent that would linger in the shop for days and her beautiful E/C eyes.
Sometimes, I get really depressed when the realisation of her current absence kicks in.

I badly want tomorrow to come, so that this awful day will end and everything will go back to normal. So, it looks like I'll be returning to my warm cosy bed and pyjamas - not like I've got anything better to do.

******************************

Just as I climbed into bed and began to fall asleep, I heard Mrs Lovett call my name. Oh for god's sake, can't I ever get any piece and quiet? What did she want now?

"What?!" I yelled.

"Mr Todd, there's something in the post for ya. Will ya come down and get it, cause I've got some pies in the oven?" She shouted up the stairs.

Damn it Mrs Lovett. Couldn't she let her stupid pies burn for once?

Feeling irritable, I reluctantly got out of bed, pulled on my dressing gown and slippers and stomped downstairs.

Going into the shop, Mrs Lovett stood in her usual place behind the counter making pies. I watched in slight disgust, as she placed a large spoonful of red lumpy stuff into the pastry. I only hoped that that wasn't my dinner.

"Oh, there you are Mr Todd. 'Ere is your parcel, and also a card that came with it." She said, walking over and handing me a card and a small package that had been tied up in brown paper and string.

"Thanks." I mumbled. "Who's it from?"

"No idea, it didn't say. It just said 'Mr Todd, Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie Shop, Fleet Street, London, England.' Nothing else...
'Ey Mr Todd, what you looking so down about?" Mrs Lovett suddenly asked me looking concerned.

I stayed quiet. I didn't want her to know. I just wanted to go back to bed undisturbed.

"It's her isn't it? You miss her don't you Mr Todd?" She said, putting a hand on my shoulder and stroking the bottom of my cheek with her thumb.

I pulled away from her touch and looked Mrs Lovett in the eye. "Her name is Y/N Mrs Lovett. Not her or it. Y/N. That's her name. And I expect you to call her by it." I was really cross now.

'She'll be the end of me.' I thought. 'Or maybe I'll be the end of her.' I smiled maliciously at the very thought. A Lovett free life, now that'd be my idea of heaven. 'Oh Sweeney, you are bad.' My conscious told me.

Mrs Lovett's eyes widened in fear at how angry I sounded.

Still raging, I turned on my heel and stomped up the stairs, making sure to violently kick the pot plant Mrs Lovett had bought several weeks ago.

Returning to my room, I slammed the door behind me and sat down on my bed.
The parcel balanced on my lap, I ripped open the envelope, pulled out the letter and started reading.

'Dear Sweeney,

Happy birthday!

I know you probably won't be celebrating, but Iam...well kind of.

It's beautiful here in America. I've met many new people and made lots of friends. Everyone is really nice. Well...apart from the odd few, who told me to bugger off when I asked them where the hotel was.
Apart from that, I'm having a great time.

There's so much to see and do. You can't possibly get bored. The sights are amazing and the food is delicious (I'll try to bring you back some if I can.) It's also really nice weather, perfect for swimming.

Anyway, enough about me. Are you and Mrs Lovett doing ok? Is she treating you right? If not, well... she'll get what's coming to her.
I miss you so much and I wish you were here with me. But then again, you have your barbers shop to run, so I couldn't just suddenly take you with me, cause who's going to help Mrs Lovett? She needs your help to run the shop.

You know something? I've really enjoyed my time here, and I'm thinking of coming back again in the hopefully not too distant future. And when I do, I'll make sure to bring you with me. I promise. You'd love it here.

Regardless, I hope all your birthday wishes come true.

Lots of love Y/N xxx

(Ps. I'll be back in a few days time. By the way, here's something I found in an antique shop in New York that I thought you'd like. Enjoy xxx.'

Oh, Y/N, I miss you too.

Folding the letter up neatly, I put it inside the book that I was reading and deposited the envelope in the bin.

Undoing the packages string, I pulled it away, tore off the wrapping paper and prised open the box's lid.
Upon opening, I found myself staring down at the most beautiful thing in the world.

There, amidst thick layers of bubble wrap lay a silver pocket watch necklace.

Wow! I'd never seen anything like it.

The silver was wonderfully cold against my skin, as I carefully picked up the necklace and put it around my neck.
In doing so, I saw that there was a little piece of paper wedged into the corner of the box, which I assumed was a price tag. Picking it up with the edge of my nails, I realised it wasn't a price tag, it was a note.
Here's what it said:

'Just a little something to remind you that time is precious and to make the most of your life whilst you've still got it.'

How true. How very true indeed.

***Ok, that's the end of the story. Sorry it took so long. I had troubles with my phone and ideas. Still, I hope you enjoyed. Stay safe 😘*******************