Raoul Duke #2

Warning: Mention of drugs

"Thanks," I said to the cashier, as I left the supermarket with three bagfuls of groceries.

My arms sank under the weight of the shopping as I struggled out of the shop and across the parking lot and to my car.
I paused several times to let cars pass me.

"Do you need any help, love?" Offered a man with a thick London accent, several cars down from where I was standing.

"Um..." I hesitated for a moment. It was very kind of the man and I would've liked some help, but at the same time, he was a total stranger and I couldn't trust that he wouldn't nick my shopping, so I politely declined.
"That's very kind, but no thank you." I smiled.

"Alright. Have a nice day." He nodded and touched his hat, before driving away.

I smiled again as I reached my car. It was really nice to know that there are so many good people in this world.

Putting my hand in my jean pocket, I fished out my car keys and unlocked my car. The car I owned was a grey Supermini. The paintwork wasn't as good as it had been, one of the wheels often got punctured (generally when I was having a very good day so as to make me have a very bad day) and the passenger door sometimes got stuck - luckily no one ever needed a lift, so I wasn't too worried about that little issue.
Anyway, my family had tried to convince me several times to get it scrapped, because it was 'unsafe and complete junk.'
I was offended and refused numerous times - despite my parents saying that they'd pay for a new one for me.
Oh no no no no no. No.
I could not afford to lose this car. It had seen my through dark times. And getting it scrapped? No way.
'How would you like it if someone told you that you had to be turned into scrap?' I had said to my parents once.

Okay, sorry. Lost track ranting.

Alright, back to where I left off.

Opening the boot of my car, I put the shopping inside - pushing aside the 'get well' present I'd bought for my closest friend Raoul.

Raoul (as I said already) was one of my closest friends and we had known each other since we were kids.

He was a hippie and did a wide variety of drugs. He didn't drink, but he did smoke ungodly amount - I had tried to help him quit, but he wasn't all for it. I couldn't force him, so I left it alone.

Anyways, Raoul had a mild case of flu, so he was at home sick. And me being the good friend I am, had offered to get him is shopping and do regular house stuff for him.

Closing the boot, I got in the drivers seat and pulled out a packet of hay-fever relief tablets from the glove compartment - my hay-fever was playing up at the moment.
Putting one of the tablets in my mouth, I picked up my bottle of water and took a sip. After swallowing the tablet, I started up the car and drove to Raoul's place.

***

Raoul lived in a nice petite house on the outskirts of town (mostly to get away from socialising with people and because no one ever really came out here), so it was quite quiet when I pulled up into the drive.

Getting out, I grabbed the groceries and Raoul's get well present. Holding all my stuff in one hand, I closed the boot, locked the car and knocked on Raoul's front door.

I admired next doors garden for a few minutes as I waited patiently for him to answer.

When he finally did, I saw that he was still in his pyjamas, slippers and dressing gown. He had tired, puffy eyes and nose was red.
I noticed that he wasn't wearing his signature yellow sunglasses that he wore every day. Poor guy, he must really be feeling under the weather.

"Hey, Raoul," I said. "I got you your shopping."

"Thanks, Y/N." Raoul answered in a croaky voice, smiling weakly at me. "You're - aaa...aaaa....aaaattttissshhhoooo!" He sneezed so violently that I thought he might turn inside out. " - amazing, Y/N. Thank you. Please, come in."

I nodded and went inside, sidestepping and almost running as he sneezed again. I was eager to not catch the flu that Raoul had. I'm a fairly healthy person and I hate getting ill, so I was praying not to catch what was going round.

As soon as I put the groceries down on the kitchen counter, I washed my hands thoroughly with soap and hot water, pulling my sleeves over my hands when I got to the sink so that I didn't touch the germy tap when I turned it on.

When done, I put the food and stuff away.

"Raoul, sit down, you need to rest, you're sick." I told him as he came over to help unpack, coughing and wheezing. Guiding him to the sofa, I laid him down and put a blanket over him. "Just relax and let me do all of this, okay? You rest and try and have a sleep."

He smiled at me again and turned over onto his side to have a rest. I decided that I should let Raoul have a sleep.

Since I'm here, I might as well do some bits and pieces for Raoul I thought.

Stretching, I washed my hands again, tied up my hair and put on some rubber gloves and an apron.

Time to get to work.

***

Three hours had passed by the time I'd cleaned the house.

The kitchen was spotless and the washing up was done. I'd also vacuumed the whole of upstairs and downstairs, washed all Raoul's dirty clothes that were laying around and pegged them on the washing line, made his bed, changed his bed, put out the trash etc

I collapsed into an armchair and pulled out my earphones. I had to work to music, otherwise the job wasn't fun.

As I sat there exhausted, I suddenly had an idea.

Jumping up, I rushed into the kitchen and started making Raoul's dinner in advance so that it was already made and he didn't have to bother with cooking.

This will be a nice surprise I thought.

At least I hoped it would be.

Where are the sticky notes? I wondered when the dinner was done. Ah ha!

Dinner is in the fridge. Just cook in the microwave for three minutes :) The first sticky note read.

Gone home, call if you need anything Y/N x :)
Ps. I hope you like the gift I bought you.

Putting down the pen I'd used, I stuck the first sticky note on the fridge and the second on the present, which I'd left sitting next to Raoul.

Readjusting Raoul's blanket and whispering a goodbye, I picked up my bag and went home.

***Hope you enjoyed this story. More JD imagines 2 come😘***