Side Story 9 : His Mother

Junqian was unable to think straight. He knew... Although he knew that his mother wasn't that good of a person, he didn't expect her to do such heinous things.

Even though Li NanYin had clarified that Junqian was not involved in anything, he still had to be investigated properly. After the interrogation, they found sufficient evidence of Junqian being innocent. So they finally let him go.

It was quite late when Junqian returned home. Fu Gui was anxiously waiting for him. He had also heard about what had happened by then.

When Junqian saw Fu Gui looking at him so worriedly, he couldn't control himself as he went ahead to hug his lover. He tightly wrapped his hands around Fu Gui.

"Ah-Gui... She..."

Fu Gui didn't hesitate to hug him back. His highness must be feeling hurt. He thought.

"I... I hate her..." Junqian said. Although he spoke about hating Li NanYin, the pain in his voice indicated something else.

"I still wanted to make her understand... that power and wealth aren't everything. I wanted to make her understand that she's wrong! Her views are wrong! But she..." Junqian spoke as his voice choked.

Fu Gui didn't know how to console him. He could only keep on patting Junqian.

Junqian said in an expectant voice, "She... She said to father... She said I wasn't involved in all this. She tried to protect me by doing so, right? Do you think... Do you think she actually cares about me? Do you think she loves me? Even if it's just a bit..."

Fu Gui nodded. "Hmm... I think... I think she cares about you."

Junqian, "Really? She does?"

Fu Gui, "I think she cares about you. It's just that... she doesn't know how to show it."

Junqian, "I hope so... I really do hope that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day before Li NanYin's execution. Junqian had tried his best to harden his heart and accept all of this. He knew that Li NanYin couldn't be saved. What she did was inexcusable. And the Emperor's orders were absolute. There was really no way to save her.

Although Junqian might hate her morals and actions, he still couldn't help but long for her love and care like he always did. At least once. He wanted to hear words of love from her at least once.

Junqian held Fu Gui's hand tightly. He had gained permission to visit Li NanYin. He stood before the prison she was locked in. Her face was completely devoid of any expression, as if she had already accepted the fact that she was about to die.

"Mother..." Junqian called out nervously.

The woman lifted her head and smiled at him.

"You're still calling me mother? I thought you hated me?"

Junqian, "Yes, I hate you."

Li NanYin didn't say anything at that.

Junqian couldn't bear her silence as he asked,

"Why? Why did you try to protect me there?"

Li NanYin, "Where?"

Junqian said with some hope hidden in his heart, "At the Imperial court... Why did you try to clarify things for me?"

Li NanYin sneered, "I was going down anyways. But I couldn't drag you down. As long as you are proven innocent, you'll still have a chance to inherit the throne."

Junqian was angered. "Is that all you thought of? Don't you care about me... even if it's just a little?"

Li NanYin, "Junqian, I care about you and that's why I want this for you. The way you're doing things won't give you much. You need-"