02 | four empty seats

"No

"No." I deadpan as the cheeky twenty-one year old that is my best friend, Skyla Nguyen, stares at me with doe eyes as if she's about to change my mind. "I said what I said, Skyla."

"Please, Ana." She clasps her hands together and lowers herself onto her knees beside the side of the bed I'm laying on. "I told him you'd go if his friends are going and now his friends are going so that means you have to go."

She sounds like an adolescent child trying to convince her mom to let her go to a party just because "all of her friends are going."

Well, it's too bad I'm black because that never worked in my house.

"No."

This girl knows me. She's known me for three almost four years so she knows that I don't go places without getting a warning at least one week in advance. But now, she's here all dressed with her car key in hand, begging me to go bowling with her and her boyfriend.

And then there's Cassidy Harper, complicit in Sky's behavior and popping her glossed lips in front of my mirror. I oughta kick them both out and just go to sleep.

Keeping my eyes on the sketch book in front of me, I add some more shading to my newest design idea and hear as Sky stomps her foot like a child.

"You'd choose staying in to make new designs over hanging out with your bestest friend in the entire world?"

Her words make me glance up at her with a raised eyebrow, "We don't wanna go there."

She rolls her eyes and stands up, "Please, please, please, do this and I'll never ask for anything ever again."

"We live together so I know that's a damn lie." I blink and go back to what I'm doing. When I pause, I can feel her eyes widen.

As she continues to burn a hole into my head, I decide to entertain the thought of going out with a bunch of people I've never met before. Sure, it's Saturday but who really ever wants to go out when they've already decided on staying in and binge watching the new season of Criminal Minds?

Usually not me. But then I realize it's my last year in college and Lord knows the past three years of my college career consisted of school, work, designing, repeat. Maybe it's time to not be a bum.

I can't even think that with a straight face.

Looking up, I raise a brow, "You're paying for the food."

"She damn sure is," Cassidy adds as she exits the room with a smile.

Skyla squeals excitedly and runs out of the room, giving me space and time to get ready.

Aggravating.

After throwing something on, I make my way to the living room where Cassidy Harper and Skyla Nguyen are taking mirror selfies with the mirror by the front door.