15 | pay for water

"Okay, is there a reason you called me at ten at night to pick you up and get food?" I ask as we pull into the Chick-fil-A drive-thru

"Okay, is there a reason you called me at ten at night to pick you up and get food?" I ask as we pull into the Chick-fil-A drive-thru. Eliana is sat in the passenger seat, her feet up on the dashboard.

She's scrolling through Instagram, a pair of blue light filtering glasses on her face when she could just adjust it on her phone. She looks adorable though, "You just answered your own question."

When we order our food and begin to pull up to the pick up window, I laugh as she pulls a debit card from within her hoodie and holds it out toward me.

She rolls her eyes, "It might not be a black card, but it still gets the job done, sir."

I shake my head, "I'm laughing because you think I'm letting you pay."

"Let me?" She reels back, "You think I need permission? Boy, I will pay for this food."

I turn to her with raised brows, "I bet you won't."

"I bet I will."

After her threatening to walk out of the car and go up to the window on foot and us arguing over it for a while, I grab the food and pay while she pouts beside me.

As I pull into a parking spot, she grabs her milkshake from the cup holder with a grumble, "That's so anti-black."

My eyes widen as I look at her, "Because I paid for your food? How the hell is that anti-black?"

"Because you wouldn't let me pay, Case," She whines in annoyance making me shake my head, "Can bet I'm paying for your gas."

"You're not gonna do that either." I let her know.

She huffs and snatches the bag of food from the center console, "You wasted gas picking me up."

"First of all, that was my choice and second of all, it wasn't wasted — we're both where we need to be, right?" She hands me my sandwich before reclining her seat back and staring up through the sunroof.

We linger in the silence for a moment, the soft sound of Frank Ocean playing from Eliana's connected phone. It's nice being here with her, just in a comfortable spot where we can just eat and chill without saying much.

"Failed my physics test, by the way."

That had no right making me laugh as hard as I did. It was just so unexpected, especially since her test was last week. South Hampton isn't usually the best at hasty results so for her to get her results back so quickly.... yeah, I have to laugh.