51 | congratulations

The field is bustling with soon-to-be graduates trying to find their seats in preparation to receive their diplomas

The field is bustling with soon-to-be graduates trying to find their seats in preparation to receive their diplomas. It's a sobering moment. One that reminds me that after today... that's it.

I leave for Milan in two days.

After much, much deliberation, both Case and I decided that would be the best choice. Mainly because of all the doors this opportunity opens for me.

It was a pain-staking decision but that doesn't take away from how much this experience will benefit me. And now, standing beside Case with our fingers intertwined together, I can't help the tear that flies down my cheek.

"You okay, peach?" He questions, wiping the tear away gently.

I shrug. "Stop. You're gonna make me cry even more and Sky's gon' kill me if I mess up her masterpiece."

He chuckles and stares at me, "I love you."

I twist my mouth and hit his chest, "I told you to stop."

He pulls me into his arms, his graduation gown smelling of him so I just rest my head on his chest, "I'm proud of you." He says.

With a nod and a soft sigh, I respond, "I'm proud of you too, cowboy."

An hour of introductory speeches almost knocks me out in my seat but I manage to stay awake for high honors and honors to be passed out.

Skyla is seated beside me, her hand in mine as we watch and listen.

I know they said to hold applause to the end, but who's really about to kick me off the field? I cheered for each and every person that went up on that stage because they worked hard to get to where they are today.

And I cheer especially loud when Casen Walker's name is announced. I can hear Jo scream from the bleachers and Sky, Cass, Frankie, Ian, and Ty make as much noise as possible.

And this is what I love about my family — going against the rules to show support.

More awards are passed out for athletics, academics, and community service, among other things.

The sun is beating down on us by the time Dean Warren begins to distribute degrees. Seeing as I'm further down the line with my last name starting with O, I sit pretty with my honors and three awards — despite me almost failing physics last semester.

I inspect my heels, the strings wrapped around my ankles in a satisfying manner. Running my fingers along the material of the white gown, I try to not let tears take over again.