25 | several moments

I need a moment to recover

Okay, several moments.

How dare he do me like that? Or not do me like that, is the real question. He just steps out of the elevator with that shit-eating grin on his face as he hugs his mother who hasn't stopped smiling since the doors opened.

She's beautiful though — a female version of Casen with golden blonde hair and amazing cheekbones. Her teeth are white and straight so it must've run in the family. And her figure... if Case's big ass wasn't standing in front of me, I would've had no idea she had a baby.

But then again, that was twenty-two years ago so it's understandable.

But either way, her waist is snatched.

"Hi, Eliana," She greets in a southern drawl, extending her arms out for a hug, "I've heard so much about you."

I step forward and hug her, overwhelmed with how lovely she smells. "Hi, Mrs. Walker. It's so nice to meet you."

When she pulls away, she rests her hands on my shoulders, "Call me Jo." There's a look on her face that I can't quiet place but it disappears before I can figure it out. Instead, a wide smile grows on her face, "So, I heard that you like seafood. My type of gal. I made us a boil."

Is she trying to make me fall in love with her?

As she leads me into the kitchen of Case's very nice apartment, the same man who I'm now mad at chuckles from behind me and follows.

"You don't have to worry about getting your beautiful dress all messed up because we're gonna use some of Case's shirts."

"Momma!" Case gasps in surprise, making me bust out laughing, "Why would you —"

"Look, I'm up for it." I laugh and send him an annoyed look but he just inconspicuously winks at me and makes his way to the fridge.

Okay, fuck him.

As we all settle in, breaking up crab legs and joking around, Jo begins some stories of Case's childhood and I listen intently.

"You know, I always knew Case had a knack for football." She says, a proud smile on her face. The man himself bows his head with a matching smile on his face. "He could run for miles and I'd run with him, just... not as far." I laugh as I can imagine her just waiting at the front door for him to come back around.

Case chuckles and hands me a long strip of crab meat and I have to keep from giving him the googly-eyes, "You could keep up."