fifty-five.

The school year was almost over. 

High school was coming to an end. 

Soon, the crusty building and the crusty teachers and the crusty classes would be only a distant memory, buried by more important crusty stuff like college and jobs and *shudder* money issues. 

Anyway, high school was almost over. And what did that mean?? 

Field day. 

It was a tradition at JYP Performing Arts High School - every year, a giant activity was held during the last week of school, right after finals, where everyone would meet at the field and compete in various competitions, like the long jump, the 100 meter sprint, and others. 

"I love field day!" Changbin yelled to no one in particular, pumping his fist in the air. "I'm gonna crush everyone else!" 

Felix giggled, hanging onto Changbin's arm. "Don't you wanna take it at least a little easy on them? To be fair?" 

Changbin scoffed. "Pch, whatever. The Changbinator doesn't believe in fair. He believes in winning!" 

Minho rolled his eyes dramatically as he walked alongside Changbin, Felix, Chan and Jisung towards the field with the flood of students around them. 

Jisung's tiny fingers were intertwined with Minho's, but Minho was trying really hard to ignore that so he didn't blush too much and ruin his I-don't-care-about-anything-but-my-cats-and-maybe-ice-americano vibe. 

Jisung and Minho hadn't really talked very much since they all met up that day, but they had held hands and Jisung had smiled at Minho a few times, so Minho was 100% satisfied. 

"Are you going to compete in anything?" Changbin asked everyone, bouncing up and down as they walked out of excitement. 

Chan grinned from ear to ear, trying and failing to not look too proud of himself. "I, er, think I'm probably gonna try running. I'm kind of fast and I think I could maybe-" 

"He's literally the Flash. Back off haters," Minho cut in. 

Jisung giggled at that (WHICH LITERALLY KILLED MINHO LIKE PLEASE HOW WAS JISUNG SO UNBELIEVABLY CUTE). 

"Really?" Changbin asked, wiggling his eyebrows. "Wowwww. Talentttt." 

Chan blushed. "Naurrrrrr. Naur, I'm not talented. I'm just average, but I'll do it anyway because having fun is what matters! Woohoo!" 

"Whatever, fake crumb," Minho teased. "When are you gonna tell them who won every single race last year at field day?" 

Chan opened his mouth to argue about his own success and deny his apparent amazingness, but he was cut off by a boy behind him with longish black hair and gorgeous features. 

"It certainly wasn't me," Hwang Hyunjin commented, tucking a lock of hair behind his ears. "Someone beat me last year." He looked straight at Chan, smiling jokingly at the other boy. 

Changbin shrunk into Felix's side. Felix straightened up a little bit, putting a protective arm around Changbin and glaring fiercely at Hyunjin. Chan furrowed his brow, looking between the three boys. 

"Leave us alone," Jisung's voice said by Minho's side. Although Jisung tended to be rather awkward and shy, his voice was surprisingly stable and confident. 

Minho glanced down at him, looking at him admiringly with sparkling eyes. 

"You're making everyone uncomfortable, if you can't tell," Jisung continued. 

Hyunjin just rolled his eyes and kept on smiling, this time focusing his eyes on Felix. Minho could see Felix tensing as the boy's attention turned to the freckled boy. 

"I see you're still putting your hands on what's not yours," Hyunjin remarked, looking at Felix's arm, which was still resting on Changbin's shoulders. 

Felix practically growled at that. "Yeah, he's not mine. He's a person, Hyunjin. So he's not yours, either. You can't just own someone." 

"I didn't say he was mine." 

Felix didn't answer. 

Hyunjin took a step forward, uncomfortably closer to Felix. He took Felix's chin between his slender fingers, practically spitting in his face. "What I mean is, Changbin just got over a break up. Yes, it was with me, but let's ignore that fact. What I'm saying is that you literally tried to get with him or whatever the same day that he broke up with his ex. I mean, talk about desperate! Did you ever think that maybe he doesn't want you around? That maybe you're taking advantage of how vulnerable and broken he is to satisfy your needs because you feel like you'll always be alone if you don't find someone who has no choice but to stick with you because they owe you something? You barely even knew him, and yet you chose to swoop in and save him when he wasn't your responsibility. But now he owes you, and you're using his vulnerable state to fill your own empty holes. That's . . . really messed up. More messed up than me." Hyunjin paused to let what he had just said sink in. Then he whispered one more sentence: "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were you. Disgusting." 

Felix took a deep breath, trying very hard to steady his emotions. He pulled his head sharply out of Hyunjin's hand, taking his arm off of Changbin's shoulder. 

No, Hyunjin wasn't right. He wasn't just helping Changbin to satisfy his own wants. And Changbin legitimately enjoyed his company! 

Right? 

"Please leave us alone," Felix said evenly, closing his eyes and taking another deep breath. "My relationship with Changbin is none of your concern, and I would kindly appreciate if you would get the fuck away from us, thanks." 

Hyunjin laughed coldly. "Fine, fine. I just wanted to warn Changbin that he's being manipulated again. He really needs to learn to recognize these things before he gets trapped in a relationship that's  like his relationship with me - or, a better example would be a relationship like his relationship with you." He turned his back to the boys, starting to strut calmly away before he paused and added one more thing: 

"Don't lie to yourself, Felix. I know you're just like me." 

Hyunjin took another step to walk away, but he wasn't able to go any further because in one swift move, Felix stepped forward, grabbed Hyunjin by the shoulder, spun him around, cocked his arm back, and punched the taller boy as hard as he could.