forty-seven.

It wasn't that Changbin hated school. He actually liked school. Between his rapping and music producing classes, school was actually really interesting. 

But, no matter how much he liked school, there was that one person who turned an enjoyable experience into living hell. 

And that person happened to be sitting right in front of him this very moment. 

If they didn't have a seating arrangement, Changbin would move in a heartbeat, but sadly he was required to stare at Hwang Hyunjin's annoyingly perfect head for an hour and a half while his teacher lectured them about some useless material that probably wouldn't even be in the final test at all. 

That was the annoying thing about school - his classmates were shit-logged idiots and his teachers didn't even care at all (because if their students failed, then they would have to retake the class or maybe even be held back a grade, which just made them have to pay the school even more money, so it was a win-win situation for the staff). 

"Hey, Changbin?" someone next to him whispered, lightly tapping him on the shoulder. "Could I borrow a pencil?" 

Changbin nodded, fishing a pencil out of his bag and handing it to Jeongin, the young social butterfly of the freshman grade. Jeongin smiled, taking the pencil and turning back to his work. 

"I need a pencil, too." 

Changbin recognized that voice. He knew it better than he knew his own voice, probably. It was sickly sweet and dripping with honey, but it was fake. It was all fake. 

"Fuck off," Changbin hissed back, not even daring to make eye contact with Hyunjin. He knew that if he did, he would be pulled right back into the trap of guilt and shame, and he hated that.

Hyunjin scoffed. "You lent little Mr. Gay one. Stop being a prick and give me a fucking pencil." 

Jeongin coughed awkwardly, obviously being able to hear every word of this conversation. 

"You literally- We dated- Hyunjin, how the hell are you being homophobic right now? You're literally bisexual," Changbin whispered, confused and annoyed beyond belief. 

And scared. He had always felt scared around Hyunjin. 

Hyunjin rolled his eyes. "Well, yeah, but at least I actually dress and act like the boy that I am, unlike some people." 

Changbin glanced at Jeongin, who was pretending to ignore them despite the fact that his eyes were a bit teary and his bottom lip was quivering in a pout. He looked the younger boy up and down. 

Jeongin was dressed in a pastel pink sweater tucked into a white plaited skirt that went to just above his knees, paired with white sneakers and white butterfly clip tucked neatly into his hair. 

In Changbin's opinion, he looked, well, like Jeongin. 

This was the popular boy he had always known; this was who Jeongin had always been. It was cute and becoming and suited him so well. 

And most of all, dressing like this seemed to make Jeongin happy. It made him feel more comfortable and more like himself, and Changbin loved him for that. 

"He looks better than you ever could," Changbin growled at Hyunjin, who just chuckled. 

"That's not what you thought a few weeks ago. Admit it. You miss me." He cocked up one eyebrow, leaning his chin on his hand as his elbow rested on Changbin's desk. 

Changbin moved his eyes to look down at his paper as he began to take notes, trying his best to ignore his bitchy ex-boyfriend. 

"But instead of running back to me like you always do," Hyunjin continued, amused, "you're channeling your emotions by playing around with that Felix kid. Aren't you? I heard a rumor that you guys have gotten really close lately. You really think he doesn't know that he's just the rebound? The leftovers? The broken feelings that you actually have for me? Seriously, Changbin, you need to get better coping strategies. When you realize what you're actually feeling and come crawling back, Felix will be left heartbroken. Well, I guess you got that from me, huh? If you really want to break his heart, well, then do it. But don't be so sloppy about it."