sixty-four.

FIVE YEARS AGO 

Jisung's parents thought he was asleep. They always thought he was asleep when they fought, but they never thought about the fact that maybe their yelling and the slamming noises of things being thrown would wake up their son and make him concerned and worried for his parents. 

Jisung had realized at a young age that his family wasn't like other families. Other parents didn't scream at each other and hurt each other. Other families loved each other. 

He had also realized at a young age that his parents probably wouldn't stay together for very long. He knew what divorce was, obviously, and quite frankly he would rather see his parents split up and become normal citizens again rather than have to live with them being at each other's throats every day of his life. 

Today was just like every other day. His mom was crying because she said her husband always disappeared without any reason and didn't come home until late. 

"You need to start caring about this family again," she wailed. 

Jisung honestly sided with his mom on most of his parents' arguments. In his opinion, his dad either needed to figure things out or just leave, because he was making things harder on everyone. 

"Stop crying, Eun," his dad groaned. "It's getting on my nerves." 

His mom only cried harder. 

"Han Eun. Stop fucking crying." 

"Tell me where you were tonight," she demanded through her tears. 

His dad sighed. "I was with Daejung, you know that. Work has been busy lately and we had to work late. You know how it gets."  

Jisung couldn't see his parents, but he knew his mom was probably sitting on the couch, her head in her hands. His dad was most likely standing over her. He tended to do that a lot, thinking it made him more powerful than her. 

"Is Daejung more important than me? Than your son?" 

His dad didn't answer. 

"Do you even remember that you have a son, Suk? His name is Yoo Jisung, though frankly I wish he had taken my surname instead, since I'm the one who's actually in his life. He's twelve years old. His favorite color is dark purple and he loves cheesecake and youtube and sleeping and rapping along to songs on the radio. And he needs a dad, Suk! He needs a father figure in his life! I can't do this on my own." 

Jisung sniffled from his spot on the stairs. He wiped away a few tears that were running down his cheeks. 

"My job is important to me," his dad said. "We're both making sacrifices here." 

"No!" his mom yelled. "No, I'm the one who's making sacrifices! You're the one who's spending all your time in that fucking office with fucking Daejung! I don't even understand it anymore!" 

His dad didn't respond. 

"Take some time off work," she pleaded desperately. "Or work from home, I don't care! But I need you here. Please." 

"How is Daejung supposed to run the company without me if I take time off?" his dad shot back. "Having a business partner means working with them, not dumping everything on them to spend time with two clingy people who are getting on just fine without me." 

"Daejung, Daejung, Daejung," his mom mocked. 

Jisung heard the slap from where he was sitting.