seventy-four.

When Jisung woke up, he was alone in a hospital bed. 

Where was Minho? 

When Minho had picked Jisung up from his house, the latter assumed he would be taken to the hospital even though he was hoping they could just go to Minho's house instead. He had already been here recently for his hand and he was embarrassed to already be coming back, and from another glass cut injury. 

Jisung's arms were numb. He guessed he had already been treated. 

"Ji? You awake?" 

Jisung jumped a little in surprise, glancing down to find a very tired-looking Minho curled up next to him, his head resting on Jisung's chest and his arms wrapped around Jisung's waist, his eyes looking up at Jisung with a tired sort of curiosity mixed with worry and concern. 

"No, still sleeping," Jisung responded back quietly. 

Minho smiled, sitting up so he was on the edge of the bed next to Jisung. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked, glancing at Jisung's arms. 

Jisung looked down at his own arms, finding them completely bandaged. "They're numb, I can't feel anything at all," he said as he observed the way he could make his fingers move a little but not feel a thing. 

Minho sighed, looking down at his hands, and Jisung now realized from following Minho's line of sight that Minho's left hand was bandaged just like his arms were. 

"Listen, we really need to-" 

"What happened?" Jisung interrupted, examining Minho's hand with his eyes. "How'd that happen?" He was developing a feeling of guilt in the pit of his stomach as he tried to figure out how Minho got hurt- well, it was obvious that he had gotten hurt because of Jisung, and that was immediately weighing down on the boy. 

Minho quickly put his hand behind his back. "Nothing!" he hurried to say, his cheeks a little pink. "Well, I just got a little scrape when I was taking that- well, your mom was- Fuck, I'm fine. I'm more worried about you." 

Jisung furrowed his brow. "Nope, I wanna know what happened." His face paled. "Did she- did she hurt you too?" 

Upon seeing Jisung start to panic, Minho immediately shot forward, wrapping the younger boy in a tender, gentle hug. "No no, don't be worried. Even if she did hurt me, nothing about that is your fault, Ji." As he spoke, he tenderly ran his fingers through Jisung's hair, trying to calm him. 

"She's my mom," Jisung grumbled, letting his head fall onto Minho's shoulder. 

"She doesn't deserve to be," Minho murmured back, his arms holding Jisung tightly yet so softly to his chest, as if he was afraid the boy would break. "Plus," he continued, "that literally proves my point. She's your mom. Not you. You have no control over her choices. And she didn't try to hurt me, I was just stopping her from hurting you- and to do that, I would cut a million hands. Well, not that I have a million hands, but you get the point." 

Jisung giggled a little, pulling away from the embrace to look Minho in the eyes. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked in a small voice, his tone laced with concern and his eyes filled with even more of it. 

Minho chuckled. "I'm fine." When Jisung didn't look convinced, he reached forward and pinched the boy's cheek, making Jisung scrunch up his nose. "I promise, Ji," he added, extending his pinkie finger, but then frowning and quickly lowering it again when he realized Jisung couldn't even lift his arms, let alone make a pinkie-promise right now. 

Jisung sighed. "Well I want to apologize." 

Minho immediately opened his mouth to object, but Jisung shot him a glare, making him shut his mouth again.