Chapter one

His mother was carrying the last cardboard boxes to the car and smiled when she finally closed the trunk. She turned around and looked up to the window where Karl stood, smiling softly at her. She smiled back and walked into the house. 

Karl looked through his old room. It was empty now and it only took him a few hours to get all his things that he had since forever into some cardboard boxes. It's weird to think about it. 17 years packed into a few cardboard boxes in some hours. He sighed and walked out of his room for the last time and closed the door with thoughts running wild in his head. Thinking about moving to a whole other country was scary but thinking about meeting new people there, thinking about a whole other school there was even more scary. It made him so anxious.

"Honey, are you coming down?", the voice of his mum appeared and he walked down the stairs to meet his mum in the hallway.

"You're ready?", she smiled softly at him and his heart warmed. He loved her so much.

"Yeah", he sighed and smiled as well.

When they walked out of their home, Karl's heart felt heavy in his chest. It was his home that he was leaving right now. But he's doing it all for his mum and he would do it again any time.

"Feels weird, right?", his mum stood next to him, arms crossed and looking up at the small house they once called home.

"More like unbelievable", Karl mumbled.

His mother slightly brushed his hand before taking it.

"A new start is always scary but I bet that the people there are gonna love you, sweetheart".

"I hope so", he whispered and squeezed her hand before turning around and walking towards the car.

"Let's go then", he swung into the car and turned on the music.

This was it now. Leaving his lovely small village, where he used to live since he was born and now he's moving to Orlando in America.
-----------------------

The flight went well. Karl was scared at first, he has never been on an airplane before. But it wasn't scary at all. When he looked down on Britain, his now very small hometown from above, he felt peace. And in that moment he told himself that he would go back again one time. He always loved Britain, especially the nice and friendly people there.

Now they were driving through Orlando. The city was breathtaking and the weather was something Karl needed to get used to at first. But his mum smiling while driving through the huge city was melting his heart. It was worth it, leaving everything behind to see his mother happy again. He hoped that she would find many friends and maybe also another person she can fall in love with in this city. A whole new start. That's what he wished for, for his mum.

"Karl, we're here", his mother snapped him out of his thoughts.

He looked out of the window and saw a small, white house with many windows and a staircase that lead up to a small veranda with a swing on it. His mother jumped out of the car and smiled wildly. Karl stood up as well, turned around and placed his arms on the car roof.

"It's nice", he said.

"It's amazing, honey! Come lets go inside", she quickly got the keys out of the car and walked the stairs up.

"I like the swing", Karl said and sat down on it.

When he heard a little crack, he stood up fast.

"Am I too heavy?", he asked sarcastically and looked at his mother in shook.

She laughed and slapped his upper arm softly.

"It's probably just old, we'll fix it later".

She turned the keys around and opened the door. After the loud squeak finally stopped, they could see the small hallway of the house. To the left was a shoe rack and a wardrobe with a mirror. On the exact opposite side was a small bathroom. Next to the door was a staircase that lead up to Karl's room, his mother's room and another bigger bathroom. Walking forwards and then left, they stood in a room with a huge table in it. Behind it, there was a nice kitchen. And of course there was a living room as well, on the other side of the hallway.