chapter twenty four

They were talking on the phone as the sun was slowly setting, both laying in their own bed and waiting for the wave of tiredness.

"Do you want me to pick you up tomorrow?", the soft voice of Sapnap came through the speakers of the phone, quiet to not break the relaxing atmosphere.

"I don't know... you shou-", Karl yawned. "You should ask Quackity".

"I can drive both of you", you could hear the smaller boy turning around in his bed, his blanket slightly lifting and going down again.

"Yeah... sure", Karl was getting more tired every second and his eyes were already closed and his body started feeling lighter.

Suddenly, he heard his front door opening and he opened one eye, his ears already focusing again. The exhausted sigh was so loud that Karl heard it up to his room and he closed his eyes again, a sign slipping through his lips as well.

"What?", Sapnap asked.

"My mum just got home. She seems pretty exhausted".

"Was she working?".

"Mhm. She's working pretty hard this week, you know. The weather is getting better and more and more people are coming to the little cafe", the brunet snuggled his head down on his pillow and slipped slightly forward towards his phone.

"I like your mum. She's pretty nice... you should cheer her up, I think she deserves that", the boy on the other end said.

"Thank you for making me feel bad", Karl mumbled, yawning afterwards.

There was a soft giggle and Sapnap started speaking again: "I didn't mean to make you feel bad, little. But just... I don't know. Bake her something? Yeah, bake her something! Your cake for me was pretty good".

The taller boy only hummed and he started dozing off slightly. He fell into his head, let his thoughts overtook his brain for a few seconds because they were the only things he heard at that moment. Then, one particular thought came up into his head.

He cleared his throat, unsure about how to ask Sapnap the question on his mind. Karl slowly sat up and took his phone in his hand. The smaller boy heard it, how his blanket moved and how he moved.

"What are you doing?", he asked.

"I... I have a question", his voice sounded so uncertain even though it was a simple question.

"Ask away".

The brunet took a deep breath and bit his lip. Just, ask way. "My mother somehow found out that I am seeing someone and she wants to... meet them I guess". His bottom lip slipped trough his teeth as his lips slowly parted.

There were no noises coming out of the phone speaker and for a second, Karl thought that the smaller boy maybe hung up. But then, he heard him clearing his throat. "So, what do you want me to do then? Come over and have dinner? I mean, sure we can do that but what do we tell her?", he sounded nervous as well. Nervous and uncertain.

Yeah, that was the problem. What should Karl tell her? 'Hey, this is Sapnap. You do know him already but we kind of make out every day but we aren't boyfriends'. Surely not confusing.

"I don't know. Let that be my problem, 'kay?", he answered, his hands stroking the soft material of his pillow on his lap. He slowly lifted it up and closed his eyes, absorbing the smell of Sapnap on it. A smile appeared on his lips, just like a blush on his cheeks as he realized that he is acting like a teenage girl being in love out of a movie.

Sapnap hummed.

"But you would come over and have dinner with us?", the brunet cautiously asked, putting the pillow down afterwards.