chapter eight

Sapnap had laid in that bed the whole night, eyes open and staring at the ceiling which was weirdly looking. Were those bricks? On a ceiling? Jeez.

His mind was full of thoughts and he wasn't able to shut them out for getting finally some rest. He was in endless pain, every time he turned around he could scream. His attend to get up and swallow another pill ended up in a muffled scream of pain.

Karl and Quackity were sleeping downstairs on the couch. Well to be fair, Quackity was, Karl was wide awake. He was also staring at the wall in front of him, sometimes seeing little shadows of cars driving by on the dark street. He sighed and stood up. He needed some water. The glass almost shattered down on the floor when he heard something falling down upstairs. Suddenly he remembered the boy laying in bed upstairs and he quickly went up there. Karl opened the door and walked in quietly. Did that noise even come from here?

Sapnap was pretending to sleep. It made a loud noise when he tried to get his phone off of the nightstand and he accidentally kicked the lamp down. He felt the intense stare on him and he tried his best not to move. He heard his footsteps, coming more close to him every second. Then he heard him picking up the lamp and sighing.

"Sapnap, I know you're awake. You're not very good at fake sleeping", he mumbled.

Sapnap slowly opened one eye and then another. He didn't dare to look up, to meet the eyes of the brunet in front of him. But unfortunately, Karl sat down on the chair nearby and he tilted his head down a little bit. Their eyes met immediately.

"Why aren't you sleeping?", Karl asked.

"I don't know, I just can't", the brunet in the bed answered.

"Me neither", he whispered.

Karl rested his chin on his palms and looked at Sapnap. They just looked at each other for almost a minute, completely losting themselves in the eyes of their opposing. Karl was the first one to snap out of their gaze. He cleared his throat.

"You kicked down that lamp?", he suddenly asked.

"Oh, uhm yeah. Sorry for that, I wanted to check my phone", Sapnap chuckled slightly.

Karl reached forward and took Sapnap's phone. He carefully sat down on the edge of the bed, sensing the other boy slipping a little bit away. The taller boy bit the inside of his cheek.

"You should be more careful", he said and gave him his phone.

Sapnap took it and rolled his eyes.

"Again, you don't need to be worried about me, w-" - ", We are not friends, I get it", Karl interrupted him.

Hearing that from Karl did something to Sapnap's heart and he could tell that he didn't like that feeling. He took a deep breath and chose his words carefully.

"I'm sorry about that... I didn't mean it in that way", he said.

Karl looked up at him with a frown, placing his hand down on the bed and turning his body more to the side, to see Sapnap better.

"What do you mean with "I didn't mean it in that way"", the brunet said in a terrible Sapnap voice.

Sapnap bit his lip and tried not to smile.

"We're not really friends", when Sapnap saw Karl's body tense, he tried to sit up. He ignored the pain.

"What I mean is, we don't really know each other and we barely have talked. How can we be friends?", he said, trying to save himself from losing all his chances with that brunet guy in front of him.