Chapter 17: The Paladin

Midnight's POV

After practically breaking down the door to Junior's nightclub to get the info we needed, we came up empty. Me and Yang just walked out to her bike and just stood there for a bit.

Umbra: well, that was an utter waste of time.

Midnight: well, if you have a better plan to find out what Roman Torchwick is up to please feel free to share, otherwise shut up!

Umbra: ...jeez.

I sighed.

Yang: you ok?

Midnight: yeah, just thinking. Any word from the others?

Yang: not yet.

Midnight: man, this is turning out to be a bust. Do you think Junior could've been lying?

Yang: na, he knows better than to try and lie to me.

I walked over and leaned up against Yang's bike, she did the same.

Yang: are you sure everything's ok?

Midnight: yeah, it's just...

Yang: does it have to do with that thing you won't tell me about?

Midnight: ...kinda.

Yang: let me guess, you still can't tell me?

I looked down.

Yang: hey, it's fine...everybody's got their secrets. It's just...we've been friends for so long, we've trusted each other like family for years. How bad could it be that you couldn't even tell me.

Midnight: it...it's just hard to explain, ok? If I told anyone I'm not sure what might happen.

Yang: ok...

She was silent for a few seconds.

Yang: hey, Midnight...

I looked over at her and watched as she leaned her head against my shoulder.

Yang: can I tell you something?

She was looking up at me with those shiny, lilac eyes of hers.

Midnight: o-of course.

Yang: Midnight...I-

Suddenly, Yang was cut off by the sound of her scroll ringing. She sighed and rolled her eyes before taking out her scroll and answering it. It was Blake.

Blake: everyone if you can hear me, we need back up!

Alpha: Torchwick's got himself a new toy!

Yang: where are you guys?!

Immediately after saying that Blake and Alpha ran by with an Atlesian Paladin chasing after them.

Midnight: alright, it's go time.

Yang: let's do this!

We both hopped onto Bumblebee and sped off after them. We followed the Paladin onto a freeway. Yang swerved and dodged as the Paladin flung cars into the air.

Yang: we've gotta slow it down!

Umbra: I've got an idea, but you'll need to get closer to that machine.

Midnight: get closer!

Yang drove faster until we were just close enough to it.

Umbra: alright, now try this.

Suddenly, I looked down at my arms and watched as they began to turn pitch black, starting at my finger tips and ending at my shoulder.

Midnight: what is this?

Umbra: it's a power that let's morph your arms into whatever you want. Now stop asking questions, jump off this bike, and use it.

Midnight: I'M NOT JUMPING OFF A MOVING MOTORCYCLE!

Umbra: fine, I'll give you a little boost.

Just then I felt something push up against the bottoms of my boot before I was suddenly launched into the air. I was surprised for a few seconds, but when I saw my chance, I extended my arms and wrapped them around the Paladin. I landed before feeling my feet being anchored to the ground, I looked down and saw black spikes coming out of my legs and piercing into the concrete, keeping me where I was.

I watched as the Paladin began trying to break free, it was really strong, it felt like it was about to pull my arms off. Just then 3 large tendrils sprung up from my shadow and wrapped around the robots, providing enough strength for me to pull it back and lift it up into the air. I spun it around before throwing it off the side of the freeway.

Team RWBY jumped down to fight while Alpha ran over to me.

Alpha: holy crap, that was incredible! How'd you do that?!

Midnight: uh, I've been working on new ways to use my semblance. Anyway, how're they doing down there.

We both ran over to the edge of the freeway and looked down only to see a thick fog at the bottom.

Alpha: damn, I can't see a thing.

We both hopped down and landed in the middle of the fog. We looked over and saw team RWBY fighting the Paladin. Alpha took his sword off of his back and grinned.

Alpha: ya ready?

Midnight: yep.

Me and Alpha began sprinting towards the Paladin only for its targeting system to start firing missiles at us. Alpha sliced through each one that came his way while I sunk into my shadow and slithered around the missiles and over to the front of the Paladin, where I launched out before extending my arms again and wrapping them around one of the Paladin's arms. With one swift tug, I yanked the robot's right arm straight off.

Just then I began to hear yelling when out of nowhere Alpha came up from behind the Paladin and sliced off its other arm. It stumbled backwards where Yang proceeded to come out of my peripheral vision and punch the Paladin right in the side, destroying it.

Out of the rubble stood Roman Torchwick. He started wiping off the dust from his suit.

Roman: just got this thing cleaned.

Yang then fire a shot at him only for it to be blocked by a pink and brown blur.  There stood a short woman with brown and pink hair, holding and umbrella.

Roman: ladies, Nox, wolf boy, ice queen...

Weiss: hey!

Roman: always a pleasure. Neo, you would.

Yang charge at them and whined up another punch, only for the 2 of them to abruptly shatter upon contact. We all looked up and saw Roman and his henchman in a bullhead flying away.

Yang: so I guess he got a new henchman.

Weiss: yeah, I guess she really made out plans...fall apart.

Weiss giggled at her pun.

Yang: no, just...no

Weiss: what, but you do it.

Yang: there's a time and a place for jokes.

Weiss: was this not it?

Yang: no, it just was very good

Weiss: well, at least I'm trying.

Me and Alpha looked at each other.

Midnight: well, that happened.

Alpha: yep, looks like we've got a story for Galand and Ethan. Let's get going.

Me, Alpha, and team RWBY began heading back to Beacon.

Umbra: you did great, kid. You managed to impress me, that's no small feat.

Midnight: is that praise I hear?

Umbra: don't get used to it.