Chapter 14: The Library

Ozpin's POV

Myself and Glynda watch out the window as general Ironwood and his atlesian fleet landed near beacon cliff.

Glynda: Ironwood certainly love bringing his work wherever he travels.

Ozpin: well, running an academy and a military makes him a busy man, but yes, those are a bit of an eyesore.

The elevator to my office opened and out stepped general James Ironwood.

Ironwood: Ozpin.

Ozpin: hello, general.

Ironwood please, drop the formalities. It's been too long. And Glynda, it has certainly been too long since we last met.

Glynda: oh, James...I'll be outside.

Glynda walked past Ironwood and out of my office.

Ironwood: well, she hasn't changed a bit.

Ozpin: so what in the world has brought you all the way down from Atlas, headmasters don't typically travel with their students for the Vytal festival.

Ironwood: well, you know how much I love Vale this time of year. Besides, with you hosting I thought this might be a good opportunity for us to...catchup.

Ozpin: I can certainly appreciate quality time between friends. However, a small fleet outside my window has me somewhat concerned.

Ironwood: well, concern IS what brought them here.

Ozpin: I understand travel between kingdoms has become increasingly difficult as.

Ironwood: Oz, you and I both know why I brought those men.

I sighed as I sat back in my chair.

Ozpin: we are in a time of peace. Shows of power like this are just gonna give off the wrong impression.

Ironwood: but if what Qrow said is true then-

Ozpin: if what Qrow said was true then we will handle it tactfully. It's the Vytal festival, a time time to celebrate unity and peace. So I suggest you not scare by transporting hundreds of soldiers across the continent.

Ironwood: I'm just being cautious.

Ozpin: as am I, which is why we will continue to train the best huntsman and huntresses we can.

Ironwood: believe me, I am.

Ironwood turned around and began to walk away, before turning back.

Ironwood: but ask yourself this...do you honestly believe your children can win a war?

Ozpin: ...I hope they never have to.

Ironwood approached the elevator before stopping once again.

Ironwood: oh, just one more thing.

Ozpin: yes, what is it.

Ironwood: there have been several reports of energy surging around Vale. You won't happen to know anything about that, would you?

I lied.

Ozpin: I'm just hearing about this now.

Ironwood: Oz, if you know something then it would be best to share it with the rest of us.

Ozpin: I'm telling you, James, I don't know anything about this.

Ironwood: I'm just being sure. It has me a bit nervous.

He then walked into the elevator and left.

Ozpin: I just hope Mr. Nox and that demon don't get into any trouble

Midnight's POV

So me and my team were in the library, just doing some studying. Well, most of us were studying, Galand was making a castle out of a deck of cards. I saw Ethan sigh and walk over to one of the book shelves. He picked out a book of aerodynamics and promptly threw it at Galand's head.

Galand: OW!

Ethan: there, study that.

Galand opened the book, took out a piece of paper and began carefully folding it into a paper airplane. Ethan picked up the book in front of him and bashed his face with it at least 5 times.

Midnight: uh, I don't think that's good for your brain, man.

Ethan: he's not good for my brain.

He pointed at Galand, who had finished his paper airplane and promptly threw it across the library, watching it glide over to team JNPR's table. It hit Nora in the head, but she didn't react due to her being asleep with her face down in a book.

Ethan sighed.

Ethan: ugh, I need a break.

He got up from his seat again and walked over to another bookshelf.

Alpha: you know what, I could use a break too. I think I'll take a page out of Nora's book.

Alpha closed the book in front before face planting into the table. I looked over at team RWBY, who were busy playing Remnant: The Game. Ruby and Weiss were crying, Blake was just confused, and Yang was, of course, winning.

Midnight: yep, it's all fun and games until Yang pulls out the trap card.

Galand: yeah, she looks like the only one who's having fun.

Midnight: well, when you're playing against Yang, that's usually the case. Last time we played that game together she destroyed all of my forces with a flock of nevermore. She's relentless.

Galand: well, given her personality, that's not too surprising.

Midnight: you know, I've never won a fight against her.

Galand: you're kidding!

Midnight: nope, Yang doesn't bother holding back against me, so she usually sends me flying into a wall with a single punch.

Galand: man, that's gotta bruise the ego a bit.

Midnight: oh, it bruised a lot more than that.

Umbra: well, back then you didn't have me.

Midnight: technically I did, you just didn't bother showing up.

Umbra: well, I had better things to do.

Midnight: like?

He paused for a sec.

Umbra: ...touché.

Galand: well, maybe next time will be different.

Midnight: doubt it.

He punched me in the shoulder.

Galand: come on, you gotta have more faith in yourself. How else are you gonna beat her?

Ethan: ugh!

We both looked over and saw Ethan struggling to grab a book from the shelf due to his height.

Galand: gimme a sec.

He walked over to Ethan to help him out.

Umbra: he's right you know. If you don't bother trying then you won't ever win against her.

Midnight: hearing that kind of advice from you just sounds weird.

Umbra: ...shut up.